Friday, February 8, 2008

Friday night with Russ and Billy


Even though I was tired today, and even though I haven’t been sleeping well, I still didn’t want to just go home and do nothing on a Friday night. So I called Russ and Billy to see what they were doing. Good thing I did, they are going to Charlotte tomorrow night to go to The Eagle. I keep thinking I need to go with them, and I keep not doing it. I just hate a gay bar. They are just no fun to me anymore.

It turned out that Russ wanted to have hot dogs, and they just love my chili. So I made some and took it over, and we had veggie chili dogs and corn on the cob. We watched the beginning of a Margaret Cho movie called Bam Bam and Celeste. We watched it for a bit, but it really seemed like revisionist wannabe history. NO ONE is as cool and self confident in high school as these two ‘outsiders’ were. I think this may be more how Margaret Cho wished she had been in high school than she actually was. Billy lost patience with it early on and we took it out.

We ended up watching Clerks II, which was hackneyed, but watchable. The antics of Jay and Silent Bob were amusing (I imagine they would have been funnier high, but still), but the main drag on the movie was Brian O’Halloran, who I think can safely be described as talent-free. His acting is really bad; and the obviously and jarringly chocolate brown dyed hair and goatee didn’t help – part of the character or not. Rosario Dawson was as OK as the material allowed her to be, however, and her huge smile is infectious. I would enjoy seeing her in something else. I haven’t seen the original Clerks, and I hate watching things out of order. I might have enjoyed it more if I had seen the original.

Still, it was a nice evening, and good to see them.

***

But as usual, nothing for me is that simple.

We ate on paper plates again. I’m having a dilemma about this. Russ and Billy are my best friends, and they don’t recycle. I know a lot of people don’t, and I’ve been keeping quiet about it; but I feel really bad about eating on paper plates when they have a cabinet full of dishes and a dishwasher. So I’m debating on how much of an ass I would be to say something about this. I know they lead busy lives, and I know some days you just don’t feel like fooling with dishes.

I did some research online, and can’t find out how long it takes laminated paper to break down in a landfill. I know there are water conservation issues in Southern California, but in general the phosphates used for dish detergent break down to negligible levels before reaching the environment (I use environmentally friendly dish soap at home). The long and short of it is it just feels wasteful to me. I feel guilty for eating dinner off something that is going to take 40-100 years to biodegrade – especially when I don’t have to.

3 comments:

JLo said...

Well, you know when you come to see me we ALWAYS use china.

ALWAYS.

Anonymous said...

Look on the bright side; BOTH movies were better than "Cats".

thefabulousmrthing said...

LOL you make an excellent point. Apparently, many critics saw things in "Clerks II" that I didn't - there were many very enthusiastic reviews. I did love the "ABC" number.