Thursday, February 7, 2008

I run the gauntlet

Today was a long day, but then I knew it was going to be. Work first, of course, which went pretty well. There is much hustle and bustle in the office right now, because our national sales symposium is this weekend, and there are sales people from all over the country gathered in the office.

I left work early for another aggravating doctor’s appointment. Went to see the sleep guy. I have been waiting two months for this appointment. I thought today was CPAP day, and took my sleep study mask in to swap it out, since it is slightly smaller than the grill off a 1967 Cadillac. The doc is like “Why do you have that with you?” After I explained, he first was not even aware that I don’t have a CPAP yet, and next told me he can’t fit me for the machine, and had no masks for one. So I’m like “Why am I here then?!” “To discuss your sleep study.” He said. “It sucked.” I informed him. And that pretty much was the end of it. I also told him that I could get six hours of crappy sleep at home, without having to take Elvis-level sleeping pills or be hooked to a machine. He did tell me that the CPAP machine did correct the sleep apnea, during the 6 hours that I slept, and that I had no immune problems, which he had suspected. He then prescribed the CPAP machine, and told me they would have to come to the house to fit me. Great. More time away from the office. Grrrrrr. So I keep the CPAP for a month, then go back to the doctor for another evaluation, at which point, he will report to the surgeon whether or not I am a pass or fail.

Leaving the doctor’s office, I spent a half hour trying to get in touch with the agency rep I was meeting for dinner. They had one of the guys who works our account in town, and wanted me to meet him. I finally got that straightened out, met them for dinner, and consumed a lovely 1,100 calorie meal at Romano’s Macaroni Grill. Delicious food, but very fattening. They have the third best Caesar salad in town.

From there it was on to my boss’s retirement party, which was at least downtown, and on my way home. I hate stuff like that. I usually don’t go to any company functions. I know I probably should, but I hate making small talk with a bunch of people I mostly don’t find that interesting. But Tom has been good to me, and he has been a pretty easy boss to work for. Also, he made the opportunity for me to get my present job. The least I could do was go and make an appearance. The dinner wasn’t supposed to start until 7:30, but by the time I got there at 8:15, everyone was leaving. Apparently they had started early, and by the time I got there it was all over. But my boss was still there, and I got to offer him my congratulations, which was really the only reason I went. I watched them take the tablecloths off for a while, as he tried to eat, since he had been talking all evening. I finally told him I was going to leave him in peace – Tom hates a fuss or being the center of attention, and while I’m sure this was flattering, I am equally sure he was uncomfortable. He said some very nice things to me before I left. I was touched. He really is a nice guy. I have caveats here, but I am choosing to forget them. Overall, he has been very good to me.

I also missed the announcement about his successor. As expected, it was the protégé he has been grooming for some time. The guy is very young for the job, but he has certainly paid his dues, and I know that he is very dedicated to the company. If he doesn’t get Big Head Syndrome, and keeps some sense of perspective (he had a tendency to nit-pick), he should work out. I really hope he does.

After all this, I came home and gratefully collapsed about 9:15. What a DAY! I am so glad this one is behind me. Whew!

No comments: