Sunday, February 3, 2008

A great Sunday, in which I unfortunately spend every penny to my name

Waterford "Waffle" pink 9 5/8' dinner plate, by Hocking Glass Co. circa 1938 - 1944

Woke up at 6am this morning in a great mood. I finally made the decision to move my blog, and was anxious to get started setting things up and transferring entries. I tried to pull up my blog last night on Russ and Billy’s computer, and only three of my 360 entries were showing out of over 100. They had been telling me they had problems accessing it, but this was the first time I couldn’t even get in. As big of a pain it is going to be to move all the old entries, they aren’t safe where they are, obviously. Part of having this is as a diary for me, and I don’t want entries winking in and out like cheap Christmas tree lights. I was concerned also because I had heard about Microsoft’s pending acquisition of Yahoo; and my ex, as a techie, has instilled in me a distrust and a distaste for Microsoft he would be thrilled to know has taken root despite my serious initial feelings he had a generous helping of some kind of technological conspiracy wing-nut in his makeup. So I got up and started working.

I gave Russ his wake-up call at 9am, and as agreed, he showed up at my place just before 10am to pick me up for the flea market. It was good, as always, to see Miss Kat and dana. Helen was there too, and she looked really good. I like Helen. She’s a tough ole broad, and I hate to see her down. She wasn’t herself at Christmas, and it was good to see her back in fighting trim.

To my GREAT surprise, my glass luck just continued this morning. I found several pieces for really good prices. I usually don’t buy crystal (clear) pieces, because they don’t appreciate as fast, and because most people don’t know what they are. But I found a “Columbia” platter for $3. I know it’s worth at least $10 – that is the price in my out-of-date book. Likewise I found a pink Waterford (“Waffle”) plate. I wasn’t sure I wanted it, but it was in perfect shape, so I paid $8 for it, which was what is was priced at in my book.

We went inside (I don’t usually bother) and looked around, and it turned out there was more inside. I was surprised. Usually when I go in, half the inside vendors aren’t even open. There was a woman there selling glass, and she knew her stuff, I have to say. She corrected my mis-identification of the “Columbia” pattern; I had confused it with “Radiance”. It is one of the geometric patterns, and I’m weaker on them. She had a Radiance cup and saucer, but she wanted $12 for it, and I had already spent so much money I was looking for bargains. Plus, it was crystal, plus it was just one cup and saucer that I was unlikely to use and didn’t want that badly. But she had a Waterford sugar bowl (crystal, not pink unfortunately) she agreed to let go for $4. I thought that was a bargain, but it was valued in my book at $5. I am sure it has appreciated since my book was put out, but it won’t have gone up much, since the crystal pieces don’t rise as fast as the other stuff. Had I known how it was valued, I probably wouldn’t have bought it. But it’s a nice little piece, and it’s in great shape. I didn’t pay that much for it, so I don’t feel cheated about it or anything (the way I feel if I find later that I paid too much for something, or bought a fake).

I also bought some new jeans, and a sweatshirt. By the time we left, I had to borrow cash from Russ to get my produce. When we left there, we all went out for lunch at this great little Mexican place near my house (I live about a mile from that flea market), since everything else was closed for Sunday. We had a nice lunch, and talked and laughed. It was really good to see everyone.

2 comments:

JLo said...

Welcome to Blogger, Steve!

JLo said...

I'm glad you guys had a good time! What happened with the Heritage Green plates?