Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A post in which it is the weekly supper with Dad

Today was almost as bad as I had been dreading. I tried to stay calm and just work on one thing at a time, but by the end of the day I was frazzled and drained. I worked a half hour of overtime because I was meeting Dick and Eve for supper, and Dad doesn’t close the shop until 6 so he’s always late. It did give me something to look forward to at the end of the day though.

We had supper at Portofino’s, and it was as good as always. I decided to try something different tonight and had the cannelloni, which was excellent. I hadn't had any for a while because veggie cannelloni is hard to come by around here.

We went back to their house afterwards for a visit. I found out some bad pieces of news tonight. First, Eve’s old surgery site (which they have opened three times now) still isn’t healing. This has been going on since July. She is scheduled for surgery on the 14th. They’re going to have to take the tissue out of her back for a graft and see if that will heal. It’s a fairly drastic step, and means still more pain and suffering for her. I feel so bad for her.

The other bad bulletin on the health front is that Dad is having kidney problems. His creatine levels are at dialysis level now – bad news. He really doesn’t need another health issue. I do feel bad for him, but I had to resist rolling my eyes a bit when he shared with me tonight that he thinks his continuing health problems are due to all the medications he’s been on through the years. I love my dad, but he’s been digging his grave with his teeth for over twenty years. If it helps him to have someone else to blame, though, so be it. I am of course sorry to hear of another problem he has to deal with.

No comments: