Saturday, December 11, 2010

A post in which it is a very long and very interesting day

I got up this morning determined to get some shopping done. But first, a trip to the flea market was in order. I went ahead and got my fruit for lunches next week, so I won’t to worry about that, but there was nothing else there but junk. Not helping. I’m getting vintage things for several people on my list this year, and the flea market is not helping me a bit. I wanted to get the hard people out of the way first, and the antique stores won’t be open evenings next week, so I made the rounds.

I scored big for Justin’s present in the first store. I was really happy with what I found for him, and it spoiled me for the rest of the day. His was so perfect, but none of the rest of the stuff I found was. I found a TON of glass today (two Mayfair sweet pea bowls - two). Had I been shopping for myself I would have been thrilled, but as it was I didn’t buy most of it. I did find two Bubble berry bowls, and two dinner plates, marked so cheaply that I just couldn’t let them go. I bought them. I also found a Floral coaster (one of my favorite patterns) for only $1, and I just had to have that.

Floral or "Poinsettia" coaster in green, by Jeannette Glass, circa 1931-1935

The Jadeite shortage continues, and what I found today was incredibly expensive (one milk pitcher was $90) (!!). Not looking good for Amanda. But I picked up a couple of things for Jeff and James that I was reasonably happy with, and I have a back-up gift for Amanda that I can get if I don’t find anything better.

I stopped at a Greek place and had a delicious salad with plenty of Feta cheese on it on my way home. I stopped off to drop the recycling, which I had packed that morning so I could do that while I was out. By the time I got home, it was about four, and I was beat. I took a badly-needed nap. I’ve already felt crappy on Thursday, and I’m trying to soothe down the Epstein-Barr so I’m not sick all through my vacation again this year. That really sucked last year.

But Donnie’s party was tonight. I woke up feeling better, and started stirring around. I wrapped the gifts I was taking and got cleaned up. I called Eve to check on her on the way out to Greer, and I called Russ and Billy too. Chris and Kendel are coming in to town this weekend for the Leather Ball, which was tonight also. If they had been at the house, I would have dropped by, but there was no answer.

I got to Donnie’s just as the party was about to hit full swing. It was a madhouse this year! It’s grown steadily and it’s finally outgrown the house. There were over 50 gifts in the gift exchange this year, and it was pretty unmanageable. I missed my gift getting opened, but it was a hit, and was stolen twice and out of the game within the first twenty or so minutes, which was gratifying. I finally just went out into the garage/smoking area because it was so crowded. I still had two gifts stolen from me, and ended up with a gag gift. That was fine. There was a woman there named Mo who liked it, and I gave it to her.

Other than the madding crowd it was a nice party. Nicole was dressed up like a sex kitten, and had on these fabulous leopard print spike-heeled go-go boots. Kimbley looked smashing in an animal-print wrap desk and spike-heeled black suede boots. I didn't wear my kilt. It was supposed to get cold, and plus I just wasn’t feeling it. I got to see Karen and Billy, which is always good. I hollered at Dan’l on the way by him once, but didn’t really get the chance to talk to him. I never saw Jim. I got to see most of the people I wanted to see, though, and if I didn’t get a chance to talk to Donnie, I did get a chance to give him the ornament I picked for his gift – he gave a gratifying reaction of appreciation. I don’t usually get to talk to Donnie at the party anyway. He’s the belle of the ball, and good for him.

Shortly after I got there, Mark had made a bee-line to me to tell me that they had someone they wanted me to meet. That was fine with me. I’ve kind of had some kind of Quasimodo thing going on lately, and I am so not too proud for a fix-up. I smiled and nodded at him a couple of times from across the room, when neither one of us could really get to the other. He finally just came out onto the porch with me and we started talking. He’s nice. His name is Logan. He’s only 25 (yikes), but he seemed to be attracted to me. We went back in to Donnie’s den, which had somewhat emptied out by then, and talked for a while. He’s a great kisser too.

Eventually I headed on out. I didn’t make a pass at him. I’m trying to do this right. Plus, Donnie and Mark just seemed to take it as such a foregone conclusion that I would take him home that it rankled me, just a bit, although I can undestand the assumption. I have his phone number. I’m going to talk to him and get to know him a bit before any hanky-panky. Dammit.

But it is nice to have something romantic on the radar. It’s been a while.

No comments: