Monday, December 13, 2010

A post in which I shop until I just about drop

I woke up this morning feeling out of sorts, for no good reason at all. Apparently I am mildly psychic, because when I got to work, I found that one of our attorneys had taken a huge dump in my in-box. Lovely.

I did hear from Logan today, which was nice. We sent a couple of texts back and forth.

After work, I was determined to brave the mall when it would hopefully be less busy. I don’t really need anything there now, but I had told Dad I would pick up some things for him. But I decided to make my way there shopping. I’m looking for this meshugeneh ornament display that Russ wants. I know exactly what it is, and can picture it in my mind, but unfortunately, there don’t seem to be any in the real world. I went by a couple of places, and ran into a guy that I knew at Hobby Lobby. He seems to be the only one besides Russ who has actually seen one of them, but they didn’t have any. There aren’t even any online.

I did get Brenden taken care of, which was a good thing, since his had to go in the mail. I was buying Dad and Eve’s present when I called Dad to ask for details on his errand. It turns out they were very close by having supper, and he asked me to meet him at Best Buy. Dad is getting me a laptop this year for Christmas, and he wanted to go ahead and get it.

That was a great idea. The problem is that I know about as much about buying a computer as I do about administering a pap smear. I had a list of things that Rod had told me to look for. Because Dad had told me he would have to do this without me, I gave him the list. Which of course he had left at home. So he kept asking me which one I wanted, and of course I had no idea. We did eventually get sales help though, and between the salesman’s input and Dad’s memory of the things on the list, we ended up buying the one Dad liked. Which was fine. I had called Billy about it, and he seemed to think it would work.

Since I was headed for the mall in a hatchback, and Dad had just paid almost as much for this computer as we paid for my first car, I sent it home with them in the trunk to be picked up later. Then, I braved the mall. It wasn’t really too bad at all tonight. I was able to get in to my destination store, where I proceeded to spend an obscene amount of money for some floop-a-doos. But hey, that’s what he wanted, and if it makes the recipient happy, I suppose it’s worth it. She’s had a rough year.

I left the mall shortly before it closed. I still hadn’t had anything to eat. I ran by the library to drop off an overdue book, and was heading home with great relief when I remembered that I had to go to the grocery store. I was too tired to even mutter obscenities. I went through there, got what I needed, and crawled home on my knees. Well that’s what it felt like anyway.

I got in my jammies, fed the cats, and threw some left-over spaghetti in the microwave. I ate it, brushed my teeth, and crawled gratefully under the covers. At some point, I have to change my sheets, but it just plain wasn’t getting done tonight.

No comments: