Thursday, December 30, 2010

A post in which Justin and I go shopping

Justin showed up right on time this morning, and after delaying him for about a half hour I was ready to go.

We set off to Easley in high spirits. These spirits were buoyed by the fact that we scored on our very first stop. We found a Lincoln Inn cup in pink for $1.00! Although Justin made the discovery, he let me have it. I had just said that morning that I had never owned a piece of Lincoln Inn, and would like to have a piece. It was just a loose cup, but it is pretty.


Lincoln Inn cup in pink by Fenton Glass Company, circa late 1920's

We went on to the big fancy antique mall in downtown Easley. They had been hit by a tornado this year, I found to my horror, but they were open. We went in and felt greatly relieved after finding that a rare set up extra-bubble forest green plates made it through without being broken. They're out of our price range, but it was really good to see them. We walked around a little in downtown Easley.

Next we went around the corner to Uncle Sam's antique store, a favorite for both of us. I picked up a couple of small things and marked a couple more to think about. On the way out of town we stopped off at the Jesus Saves Thrift Store, only to find that it's former junky splendor had been replaced with a very spartan interior. They must have thrown out most of the inventory. To be fair, most of it was junk, but it was still quite a surprise.

We rode out to a place in Pickens that I like, but all I found today was a shot glass. We also went out to the thrift store that Justin had been so impressed with last year, but ended up not buying much today. We stopped for lunch at a great little Italian place called Mama Mia's. The food was really good.

On our way back to town, we stopped at a place I've only been once before. The people that run it are very nice, but it's a bit off the beaten path. It was worth the ride today though, I found a little piece for Amanda so that on the next occasion I won't be out desperately seeking egg cups.

After that we went back to Uncle Sam's. I bought two pieces I really wanted. One was an amber milk pitcher in a pattern called Madrid. I usually don't like that pattern or color, but it fed in to my obsessive (of late) desire for milk pitchers. It's a really nice piece, and I got it for about half price. I also bought a Depression Green water glass that for some reason just called to me. I paid too much for it, but I just had to have it.


5 1/2" Madrid pitcher in amber by Federal Glass Company, circa 1932 - 1939

We thought about going over to do some of the 85 stores, but by that point we were both pretty beat, so we headed on back to my place.

Justin made his leave, and I got in touch with Russ and Billy. They were going out to supper tonight, and Russ invited me. It turned out that he had invited tow new guys to go with us, Josh and Alfredo. They were both nice, and I really liked them. We went to Lieu's for supper and I really enjoyed spending time with everyone, even if I did spend way too much. That's what vacation is for though, right?

After supper I went back to Russ and Billy's house to hang out for a bit. I helped Russ put move some things around in preparation for tomorrow. Part of what we tried to do was put together some lighted reindeer Joann had bought him for Christmas. Russ was trying to turn the motor over (it moved the head) since we'd gotten it in upside down. He unplugged the deer, and we both watched in horror as the head continued to bob up and down. In a few seconds we both figured out that there was a separate plug for the motor, but initially we were both quite shocked and horrified. It was really pretty funny. Later.

No comments: