Saturday, December 25, 2010

A post in which I wish everyone a Merry Christmas

I was up early, and mostly on time to Dad and Eve's. They wanted me there at 9am, but they weren't ready. I packed up the car while they finished, and drove down. We got to Lisa's around 11. Ava had already gotten up and opened everyone's gifts (and Lisa had re-wrapped them) by the time we got there. That was fine, because we had another huge load of gifts in the car.

We opened presents and visited. Lisa liked her shirts that I gave her, and Carl seemed to as well. There was a bit of a kerfuffle when Reagan, Carl's daughter called for him to come to get her. She's 18 and won't drive on the freeway. He was getting ill about going to get her, so Dad volunteered to go. He took Cole with him, in hopes of getting him to drive a bit (reportedly he's barely driven the car since Dad gave it to him), but he didn't. They ended up being gone for several hours.

In the meantime I played with Ava. Despite her receiving many expensive presents, we ended up playing with some little finger puppets that came out of her stocking. The other greatly favored gift was a $1 set of glittery colored lip gloss. There were seven colors. She spent about two hours painting her lips, and then mine, with great order and seriousness. She was happy and quiet and on my lap which was all I cared about.

Eventually Dad and Cole came back with Reagan in tow. We ate supper. I was really hungry. Lisa made ambrosia salad for dessert. I enjoy it, but not enough to make it. It's a pain in the tuckus to make. But before we ate dessert Dad was getting antsy to go. It was snowing in Greenville, amazingly - the first white Christmas here since the 60s. Although he let me drive down, he decided he needed to be behind the wheel on the way back since we were going into inclement weather. It rained most of the way back, but when we reached Fountain Inn we started to see snow. It wasn't freezing, and there was no build-up on the roads, but the rest of the trip back was very pretty. When we got back to their place Dad was ready for me to get home if I was going. There was about three inches of snow on my car that I had to clear.

On my way back through town my phone rang. It was Terry. Of course I told him he could come stay. I was really worn out after the long day, but I thought it would be good to see him. I straightened up the house a bit and put a pot of Hamburger Helper since there was almost nothing in the house to eat. He's usually hungry when he gets off work.

I headed out to pick him up after his shift (praying that the roads were still OK - had anything happened, I would never have heard the end of it from Dad), only to run into difficulty. Some people for the next shift hadn't shown up, and no one was willing to pick up an extra shift on Christmas day in the snow. By law though, no one was allowed to leave until they had enough people there to cover the shift. After waiting and debating for half hour, one of the missing showed up and we were allowed to go.

Terry and I had drinks, ate some Helper, and caught up on what was going on with each other. It was a very nice end to Christmas. I miss having someone to do for, and it was good to see Terry, and to go to sleep with someone I love in the house.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

No comments: