Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A post in which Eve has surgery yet again, bless her

I had forgotten that when I stay up too late it’s the second morning that is the hard one. I awoke to that remembrance today. Again, I went outside for a cigarette (which I needed) with my coffee (bad, wicked, naughty) but didn’t tarry. It is really cold this week!

My boss gave me my Christmas present by leaving the office for two more weeks. The Canadian guru is on the road too, guaranteeing that everything will be thrown into a mess again this month. She didn’t get back with me on releasing her reports last month and everyone was in a tizz about it.

I got in touch with Lisa about what to buy Carl for Christmas. She doesn’t know either. Lovely. I hate buying for men. They are so hard!

My movie buddy Nancy is interested in going to see The Black Swan. Now that I’ve had a moment to read more about it, so am I. Hopefully we’ll be able to claw out a couple of hours to see it during its (assuredly brief) run here.

Eve had the surgery she’s been dreading today. I checked in with Dad this afternoon though, and she seemed to be feeling pretty well. I took the meatball sub she ordered to the hospital for her supper and she ate every bite of it. I had a sub with her (Dad had already eaten) and we hung out in the room and watched TV and stuff, pretty much as if we were at their place. Eve was uncomfortable, of course. The procedure today was pretty extensive. But she’s a trooper. After demanding that those awful anti-embolism 'gauchos' be removed (for which I couldn’t blame her a bit – they’re awful), she got out of the bed to stand up for a while and seemed to feel better.

I excused myself around 8pm and told them I’d check in tomorrow. I still have 8,000 things to do, but I didn’t do them tonight. I’m still worn out from the weekend, and I really just wanted to sit and enjoy the tree for a while. So that's what I did, irresponsibly. For some reason, my supper hadn’t satisfied me and I was still hungry. I had some junk snacks while I watched a bit of telly.

I’m going to absolve myself from any housework this weekend (except making lunches of course) and concentrate on the cook book. Hopefully I can get the recipes finished up, and then there will just be the coordinating, numbering the pages, and securing the copies to take care of next week. It's due in on the 18th, so I really need to get going on it.

I actually have more plans than I thought I did this weekend, as frequently happens during the holidays. Russ and Billy have a houseful this weekend: Joanne, Rob, Chris, and Kindle are coming. I’ll go over there for a while Saturday before I go to Donnie’s party. Then Sunday I can skip brunch and work on the book until I have to get ready to go to the Sunday night supper. The last I heard that will be at Russ and Billy’s as well. So quite a busy weekend coming up, and I’m not going to have a lot of time to myself this week. If worst comes to worst, I can tell Dad and Eve that I’m skipping next week’s visit. I told them I might have to do that. I guess it will work out.

In the meantime, despite my good intentions to turn in early, I lay uselessly on the sofa watching the Family Guy marathon until I finally decided to get ready for bed.

No comments: