Sunday, August 1, 2010

A post in which it is birthdays!

I was up pretty early this morning, partially because I did nothing last night, and partially because I had a lot to do today. There were plans for brunch with Miss Kat, dana, and Lori for Miss Kat and Lori’s birthday – of course I had nothing planned. Lisa was also coming to Dick and Eve today, so I would have to make an appearance over there for moral support.

First I went to the flea market for fruit, which for some reason I ‘hadn’t felt like buying’ yesterday. I don’t know either. While I was there I did the glass walk, even though it was drizzly again, and there was almost no one there. But off in the corner there was one table where I found some great glass at a very good price. I found a pink Windsor platter and got that for $5! I bought one out at White Horse years ago, and when I got it home it was sick glass (glass covered in mineral deposits) when I got it home. This one is in great condition, and I paid a fraction of what I did for the first one. Live learn, I guess. Don't buy dirty glass (well for a premium price anyway). You don't know what's under that dirt.

Windsor "Diamond" 13" platter in pink by Jeannette Glass, circa 1936 - 1946

When I got up to the table, they also had a little oyster and pearl handled dish. Not really sure what it is - a nut dish? a creamer? (It has a little spout.) That isn't one of my favorite patterns, but since I already have the large platter and two divided relish dishes in it now, I decided for $2 I may as well have the heart-shaped dish as well. It is a cute little thing.

Oyster & Pearl handled heart bowl in pink, circa 1938 - 1940

Then was the deal of the day, a beautiful Sharon tumbler. They aren't cheap (retail, anyway), and the guy had this one marked for $5. I thought it had to be a reproduction, but when I checked the book, this piece hadn't been reproduced. I found a tiny flea bite on the rim, but you'd never see it if you weren't just looking for it. It is a beautiful piece, and quite a find.

Sharon 15oz tumbler in pink by Federal Glass Co, circa 1935 - 1939

Leaving there, I swung through CVS for prescriptions (before tomorrow’s beginning-of-the-month craziness begins), birthday cards, and gift cards.

I got home, got cleaned up, changed the sheets, and folded a load of laundry. And waited.

By a bit after 10 I couldn’t stand it any longer. I called Miss Kat. She didn’t sound very wakey wakey, but said they would call me back.

I was starving.

I didn’t want to eat anything if we were going to brunch, but at the same time didn’t want to pass out in the floor from sugar shock either. I finally ate a small bowl of peaches, and carved up the watermelon so it would be all ready for lunches next week.

Thirty minutes before Miss Kat called me back, Lisa called. Her arrival was imminent. I love that girl, but she has the timing of a Russian ballet. But I digress.

We ended up going to Stax Omega for brunch. Fine with me. I was ready to chew the legs off a rabid weasel at that point, and they do have the best omelets in town. They are better than mine. We also tried a new appetizer they had called fried biscuits. You heard me right. Little bitty fried biscuits with a honey-butter glaze drizzled over them. They were so good I thought I was gonna go sterile. Also, since there were no rabid weasels around that was all that was on the table to eat. I tried to act with discretion – I really did. I managed not to grab the plate, run for a corner, and growl at anyone who came near, but it was an effort.

After several cups of coffee, and a gorgeously delicious spinach and feta cheese omelet, I was feeling much more like myself. We finished a very enjoyable brunch, and I invited everyone back to my place (I had just cleaned Thursday for Nicole, so it was livable). Lori couldn’t come – she has this amazingly busy and task-filled life – but Miss Kat and dana did. I love it when they come over.

We hung out for a while, listened to music and talked, but I knew that eventually I was going to have to man up. When they headed for home, I headed for Dick and Eve’s.

Cole didn’t come today, but Ava was there, and she’s a complete show by herself. Lisa had asked about sushi, which you usually can’t get on a Sunday around here, but a new place has opened up and I knew they served today. I made the mistake of mentioning this in front of the parents, and they kind of ended up going, which I don’t think was the plan, but it was fine. The sushi was OK. Not what I would have chosen, but the only sushi place I know of that’s open on Sunday was this one so beggars can’t be choosers.

We had a nice meal, after which Lisa & Co headed home, as did I.

No comments: