Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A post in which I go out to lunch

My friend Kimberly had been in touch last week and asked me to lunch. She lives just around the corner from me, and I just never see her. Long story. It was good to see her, and she looked great. We had a very nice lunch and caught up.

I had a lot to do today. When I got off work I ran by the grocery store to pick up some things I hadn’t thought about yesterday, the biopsy having been ever-so-slightly distracting. I had cooked all the veggies at the house except for the eggplant Billy gave me Sunday. I decided to bung that into a red sauce with some wine and put it over pasta or something.

So I ate supper and got my sauce on to simmer, and then put a load of laundry in. At which point the phone rang. It was my friend Michael R, who I also don’t see enough of. He called to check in on me and catch up. It was good to hear from him. He’s been such a good friend to me through the years. We commiserated about the frustrations of aging.

When I got off the phone I went in the kitchen to clean up, at which point the water turned off. Just quit. I had a counter of dirty dishes and a load of laundry half washed. Since all chores were effectively stopped dead, I called Dad, something else I needed to do tonight. They got Dad’s labs back today, and he doesn’t have a MRSA in his back (thank goodness). They’re supposed to sew him back up tomorrow. He’s expecting to be in the hospital through at least Thursday. I’ll go see him tomorrow night.

Unsurprisingly after all this, I was pretty wiped. I played on the internet for a while, checking periodically to see if the water was back on and watching a truly excellent documentary on Thomas Jefferson. The water stubbornly remained off. I eventually called the water company, and was told that there was a broken water main in my neighborhood and no ETA for the return of service. Eventually I brushed my teeth (I can do that in a glass of water, I do it all the time when I’m camping) and went on to bed. Where I stubbornly could not sleep. I tossed and turned and watched TV for a while (I watched the premier of Swamp People on History Channel, which I found mesmerizing for some reason), and eventually drifted off.

No comments: