Sunday, August 22, 2010

A post in which I eschew chores

There was plenty I should have done today, but I plain didn’t feel like it. Marshall, John, and Aaron were in from out of state. They drove in for the party and stayed the night with Russ and Billy. A flea market trip had been planned, but after last night I didn’t know if they would end up going. But they did, and came by to pick me up.

It was supposed to be overcast again today, but that didn’t happen. We did the outside of the Anderson flea market, but it just kept getting hotter, and last night’s rain added to the humidity. It was miserable. Temperature-wise it was the most miserable flea market trip I can remember. I didn’t find any glass, but I did pick up some incidentals and a couple of cute little towels for Ava, and Billy bought eggplants for the dinner he’s doing tonight.

I did wash all the bedclothes and put them back on the bed when I got home. I hate sleeping in the bed without a mattress pad on it – that always makes me feel like white trash. Lisa was on her way home today from a trip to the mountains, so she stopped in to see Dad. Eve texted us both at 1:30am this morning to tell us that he has been re-admitted to the hospital. His fever was up to 104F Friday night, and last night it went up again. His incision has re-opened, and is now infected, which is the problem. Not good.

Lisa and Ava came by to see me after they went to the hospital, but Ava needed a nap and was a bit fussy. She did enjoy chasing the cats around, and they didn’t seem to mind too much. Lord knows they could use the exercise. It was good to see them. After they left I went over to the hospital to visit Dad for a bit. I sat and talked to him while he waited for Eve to bring in his supper, and then went to get mine.

The usual Sunday night dinner had been moved to Russ and Billy’s house tonight. Amanda, Jeff, James, Morgan, her boyfriend (can’t remember his name), and eventually Corbin were there. We sat out on the deck and talked for a while, and then had a lovely dinner of eggplant parmesan. Everything was delicious and the company was of course superlative. Since I have tomorrow off, I didn’t have to leave quite so early to go to bed. It was a great evening, and I’ve had an excellent weekend. So however bad tomorrow is (and I’m already dreading it), I’ve spent the weekend in exactly the way I wanted, surrounded by friends. It’s hard to ask for more than that.

No comments: