Saturday, August 21, 2010

A post in which it is a bear pool party

Today was Drew’s pool party, long planned. It didn’t look like much of a day though. I had intended just to be lazy today before the party, and for the most part I was. I went over to the flea market to buy vegetables, since I was making Korean refrigerator pickles to take to the party. I was thinking it was too late when I got over there for there to be anyone still around, but to my surprise, it was teeming with life. It’s been SO hot lately and the clouds cooled things off enough that it was bearable to be outside. Plenty of other people apparently decided to take advantage of it. I still didn’t find any glass, but I did get my fruit and veggies bought.

I got home and put some things away. I got home and made my pickles, ate a spot of lunch, and was about to lie down for a bit when I got a text from Russ. He was ready to head to Spartanburg for the party - even though it was raining. It was about 1pm when he sent the message. The party started at 2, but I didn’t figure anyone would be in a red-hot hurry to be there today. Russ always goes early to set up though, which I had forgotten. As I walked though the bedroom, I found that Jinx had thrown up in the middle of the bed. Again! After some wholesale cussing, I stripped the bed, threw some things in a bag and headed for their place. On the way, I contemplated a cat-free existence.

When I got to their place, Russ called Drew, who assured us it wasn’t raining in Spartanburg, but by the time we got there it was of course. There were people milling about in the drizzle, and several in the pool (there was no thunder and lightning). I wandered around a bit trying to find someplace dry to put my stuff down, but eventually I just took it in the house and changed. I figured if I was going to be wet anyway I may as well get in the pool.

The party stared off a bit grim, but the people that were there came determined to enjoy themselves, and it wasn’t raining that hard. Eventually it cleared off into a beautiful evening. All of my pickles were eaten. I do so love to take home an empty bowl.

Bill always has the latest toys in the pool house. He now has a smoke machine and a laser party light out there. That evening he opened the door and let the smoke roll out over the pool deck. The laser got pointed out into the water and shot beams through the smoke. It was very very cool. We all stayed in the water until we got pruny from being wet for so long.

I was good to stay for a bit longer, but Billy wasn’t feeling well, so we left earlier than we probably would have otherwise. It was cool though, we had been there for a while. It turned out to be a great party, and I really enjoyed myself. I made a point to tell Bill how nice everything was before we left.

No comments: