Monday, August 16, 2010

A post in which it is back to work

I didn’t feel too badly this morning. Billy sent me home some pasta salad from the dinner last night, so I had lunch ready to take to work today. That made my life easier.

I went to the grocery store tonight after work and spent an astonishing amount of money, but I was low on some things and they had sales on. The grocery store was very busy. The checker told me Mondays are busier when the kids go back to school – interesting.

I cooked some potatoes I had in the fridge for dinner and had a salad. I made some phone calls. Mom said things went OK today. They got Granny to The Villages at around 3:30. Mom and Donna took in sheets and things from home to make it feel less strange. She’s right across the hall from Grandma. Mom said Granny was upset but was putting up a big front. Of course it was hard for Mom to leave her there. I reassured her as best I could that she had done the right thing. 24-hour home nursing just isn’t possible. If she could afford it I don’t know where they would find staff. Grandma isn’t in the rehabilitation wing, she’s in residency. When Granny puts it together that she isn’t in the rehabilitation facility things my deteriorate, but for now let’s not borrow trouble.

There was an oil tanker overturned on highway 77 last night and I talked to Mom after she had been sitting in traffic for 45 minutes. I passed a few snarls yesterday on the way in, but I had thought well at least it will be better for Mom tomorrow. Wrong.

I caught most of a Joan Crawford flick I hadn't seen before called The Caretakers. It was pretty bad. Joan played obstructive old school head "Nurse Rached"as a re-worked Mildred Pierce, basically. There was plenty of 60's-style melodrama. It should have been a much better movie than it was (thank goodness they didn't write in an attraction of the psychiatrist {age 44} for Joan's character {she was 58 at the time} as they did in so many of her other movies {Johnny Guitar comes to mind}) . I could recommend it for camp value had there been more scenes for the lady, but she was buried in a mish-mash of psychological proselytizing and scenes of the mental patients freaking out. I do admit that I love how old movies about crazy people show them grabbing their heads all the time as if they're in pain. Kind of like in headache remedy commercials.

I called Lady Beth and left her a message. She called me this weekend to tell me she was thinking about me and texted me when I got in yesterday. I called Rick and firmed up plans for tomorrow night. I changed the sheets and switched out a load of laundry. I thought about cleaning house. I didn’t do it, but I thought about it. On the one hand, Rick's frustrated with his roommate right now because he’s a slob and I don't want him to think I'm one. The house looks kinda slobby at the mo, but it isn’t horrible. There are things that need doing, and I’ll do a quick run through tomorrow before I leave for supper. But on the other hand, I’m really conflicted about coming back to the house after dinner. I mean, I’d like to talk to him for a while, but if we come back to my place most guys are going to assume we’re going to do more than talk (which, I must admit, is usually a safe assumption with me - it would be hypocritical of me to play Polly Purebred here). With all that’s going on, I’d like to take things a little slowly if I can. I could talk to him about that, but that doesn’t really seem like a talk for a first date. If I did this a bit more often, I guess I’d be better at it. But I know Rick, and that helps. I’m just going to have to see how things go and play it by ear. I hate that.

Mainly, I haven’t been home (except to sleep) since last Friday morning. I was ready to relax a little bit tonight, so I did. The advisability of that remains to be seen I suppose.

No comments: