Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A post in which I get to go home!*


I actually got to go home tonight. This was the first evening I’ve spent at home since last Tuesday. It was a perfect night for it. The weather turned into drizzly cold yuck again this morning and was miserable all day. Despite the nasty weather, I had a buddy swing by this morning. That was nice. George has been giving me fits this week. I was up with insomnia anyway. It beats doing laundry, right? OK, I did some of that too.

dana came by the house for a few minutes this evening, but didn’t stay for long. They are in the midst of remodeling the kitchen still and she had lots of work left to do.

With unusual perfect timing, TCM had two Bette Davis movies on tonight. I can only attribute this unexpected largess to the fates tormenting Justin, who recently lost access to the channel. They were calling it a Bogart-fest, but she was in both. I’ll take that any way they want to bill it. Anything not to have yet another showing of The Bridge Over the River Kwai. The first was Marked Woman, which I had seen previously, and which was just as good the second time. The next was The Petrified Forest, which I haven’t seen before, and which I was really anticipating.

But it got kind of a slow start, and Leslie Howard is the love interest. I’m not a huge Howard fan. I never could see how Vivien Leigh (much less Scarlett O’Hara) could have been so wild about his Ashley Wilkes. He was basically playing Ashley in this movie as well, although he was a bit more practical (spoiler: at least in death). There used to be a real fan base for more sensitive men (i.e. men with brains). I should be in that base, but Leslie Howard just never did much for me below the waist. That aforementioned fan base was pushed to the side when the likes of Marlon Brando started doing their macho shtick. From then on actors could either be a grunting hunky moron or second banana. I guess I fall somewhere in between in tastes. As Judy Tenuta says, “Like you, but with a pulse.” I like guys with brains, but you have to have more than just the cerebral. There has to be something upstairs. You have to get out of bed at some point, but I don’t want to spend all day reading poetry and dreaming of a Utopian society either. Add to that the fact that Howard plays a well-spoken but penniless bum, and you pretty much put out a match that was already guttering. Is there anyone left with enough romantic idealism to swoon over such a guy? So I guess I’m just looking for Mr. Perfect, which would be one of the many reasons why I’m still single. Actually, I like to think I’m looking for Mr. Perfect-For-Me. Maybe he’s out there.

At any rate, when Leslie started his high-minded castle building I tuned out a bit and chatted on line; this despite Humphrey Bogart being unexpectedly sexy as the gangster. I've never been a huge Bogart fan, but he was hot in this movie. I talked to a guy who may have some promise. We’ll see. His name is Dale, which is interesting (if a tiny bit disturbing) since that was my maternal grandfather’s given name.

And then Lisa called. She asked if I wanted to play Santa to a group of underprivileged kids. In Chapin. On the day of Donnie’s party. If I’d had the time (yeah, right, in December) I might have done it, but honestly I’m a little uncomfortable with it. Being a gay guy, and coming from a molestation background, if one of those kids said anything wasn’t kosher, I could be under the jail in minutes, never to return. I guess it kind of offends my vanity to be asked to play Santa too. Another one of those life transitions into middle age; when people stop saying “Wow, have you ever been a hair model?” (or whatever) and start saying “Wow, you’d make a great Santa!” Well gee thanks Uncle Fester.

Anyway, we had a good long talk while I missed the rest of the movie. I tuned in just in time to see Leslie Howard die and catch the happy ending. Things turned out so Bette could go to France. I don’t know, maybe that wasn’t such a happy ending after all. Although we were a lot more popular over there then than we are now, and the movie was made in 1936, so she had four years to go before the Nazis occupied. But I digress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

first you believe in santa ....second you are santa ...third you look like santa .....Its all just part of being alive longer than you were as a twink..lol besides older men have bigger C**ks lol and brains