Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A post in which the car stuff is resolved - definitively

As are my window issues, mostly.

I was up early this morning (I still haven't slept through the night). I went on outside and wiped down the interior of the car. It looks better right now than it has in a year. I figure if I can't get a deal worked out tonight I may keep it after all.

I got ready for work, herded the cats into the back room, and waited for the window man to show up. And waited. And waited. I'd had a conversation with him about Monday, and explained that I really couldn't be so late to work again. He had told me he understood, and that he would be here today "first thing". Apparently I should have been more specific about what his idea of first thing entails. I started calling him at 9am. I got him on the phone about 10 minutes later. "Did I tell you I would be there now?" he asked, seemingly bewildered. I explained that he had, and reminded him about our conversation, and my need to be at work on time today (even though it was already too late for that). "I can be there in 45 minutes for sure." he said. Nice.

An hour later, he rolled in. As I headed for my car, his wife/girlfriend/whatever came up to me and said "I have to apologize to you personally. It's my fault we're so late. I didn't get a shower last night, and I just had to have one before we came today." There are few times in my life when I am speechless, but this was one of them. I'm standing there, basically just amazed that she would use a personal hygiene issue to be late to work. But then I quickly thought a) it's the day before Christmas; b) I'm about to leave this woman in my house for the day; and c) hopefully I will never have to see any of them again anyway. Getting ugly wouldn't have resolved anything - this was almost over. I wished them a pleasant Christmas and left for work.

I had already set up my desk to run while I was gone, so there really wasn't much for me to do today anyway. The main reason I wanted to be there on time was to make my boss happy, and all things considered, he has been pretty laid back this week. I guess it's the pre-Christmas thing or something. Whatever it is, I'm grateful for it. Work went smoothly, until close to the end of the day, when I was trying to get Canada's numbers from them to finish the weekly slides (yes they had to be done this week, my boss is addicted to them). I begged all afternoon, but their stuff is always late (despite the extra time they've been given), and apparently they had all decided to take the day off. I was panicking because I couldn't stay late today - I was meeting my dad and his friend at the dealership at 6pm; but after being two hours late today (plus being off for nine days in a row starting tomorrow), I couldn't really insist on leaving on time. My entreaties elicited no response at all. Eventually, my boss just told me to distribute the stuff without their comments. I gratefully did, and left.

When I got to the dealership, my dad's friend Steve was there. He recognized the bomber, and enthusiastically waved me over. He introduced me to the sales guy we would be using, who was a former employee of his, and purportedly a super nice guy, honest as the day is long, etc. Yeah right, he's a car salesman for crying out loud. Anyway, he seemed nice enough and we went to test drive the Insight, which I had yet to sit down in.

It's a nice car. It drives pretty much like a regular car. The dash is very cool. There's enough headroom in it, and the rear visibility wasn't a huge problem for me. There is a good amount of engine noise when you accelerate on the highway, but when you get to cruising speed it quiets down. It's a nice car. The body style is not my favorite, and I hate the open hatch in the back. I'm going to get one of those "window shade" type covers to go over it inside. I'm not in love with it the way I was with the Bomber before I bought it, but this is a very nice car, and my first Honda. It gets great gas mileage, has great warranty/guarantees on it, and I'm sure it will be reliable, which is the important part. I can go wherever I want without worrying if it's going to die on me, and I don't think I will have all the problems with this one that I had with the Bomber after I bought it (crossing fingers). I love everything about the Bomber but the engine. Unfortunately, that is a key part. So I guess I'm putting away childish things. The Bomber was kind of a mid-life crisis car anyway.

So then we get to the buying part. I would usually pretty much lick Rush Limbaugh's feet than buy a car. I'd rather do almost anything else. But I didn't have much to do here. Steve is a pro, and has been on the other side. About the time the back-and-fourth started Dad showed up too, so I just let them do it. That was really fine with me. Turns out the price the other dealership had made me yesterday was on the base model, and I needed the EX because it comes with cruise control. I'm not giving up my cruise. The EX is about $2k more than the base model. It wound up that I got the EX for about $600 more than the base model I had priced. I think I probably could have worked the same deal at the other dealership if I had been prepared to go over there and sit for five hours and leave and stuff. We bought this car in 90 minutes. That is from driving on the lot to driving off. That to me was TRULY impressive. So if for nothing else than sheer lack of aggravation, it was well worth enlisting Dad's help. They're going to try to get the car for me tomorrow, but I'm to have it by Saturday at the latest. Of course they had to get one from another dealership, but if I'm going to pay the ridiculous amount for a new car, I'm gong to get the color I want. I'm firm on that.

Dad invited me back for dinner. I've spent a lot of time with them this week (and I have more to go at Christmas). Dad and I get along better when we see less of each other, but he's done so much for me there was really no way to say no. So I went. Eve, who was fine on Monday, looked like death warmed over tonight. She was careful to tell me that she was antibiotics, but of course she hadn't been on them when we went out Monday night. Plus she prepared all the food. I'm supposed to watch myself around sick people because Epstein Barr lowers your immune response, and my neck is still somewhat swollen. I haven't been able to slow down enough to really get well - there's just too much going on. But I guess it was too late now anyway.

So we had a nice meal, and related tales of daring-car-buying-do. It was a pleasant evening.

I returned home to view my finished windows. They are beautiful. There is only one problem. The beautiful garden window over the kitchen sink - the one I was really excited about. They had issues fitting it to the sill, and with the power that for some reason ran down between the windows. They had to re-box the sill, which was fine. But they did it with aluminum siding. It looks great, it's beautiful work, but when you touch it it feels cheap and trailer-esque. I can't see being able to ripen tomatoes on the sill and stuff, as I regularly do in the summer. I'm not happy about that. I'm not supposed to pay them until I'm 100% satisfied. But I'm weighing that against a) the future wiring I need to have done; and b) having to deal with the hassle of letting the crew in the house and all again. Sigh.


The Greenhouse window

No comments: