Thursday, December 31, 2009

A post in which it is a Happier New Year than I expect

I woke up feeling pretty crappy this morning. I've been trying to get better so I could go to Kimbley and Laura's party, but by noon I knew I just wasn't going to make it. I called Kimbley to cancel. I tried to keep my vacation trials to a minimum - they have their own problems right now to deal with - but some explanation was necessary. Kimbely was very nice about it, as I figured she would be.

I resigned myself to staying in. But I was pretty depressed about it. I have spent NYE home alone before. I've always hated this holiday even more than Christmas. But I love Kimbley and Laura's party, and having to miss it made me feel lonely and pitiful.

By afternoon, I was feeling some better. That was a good thing. I had an appointment to get my hair cut today, and after missing on the 23rd I really needed that haircut. I got ready a bit at a time, and went on in.

Of course Russ was talking about their NYE get-together at the house tonight. Just a couple of friends for some kind of take-away and a relaxing visit. I decided to go. I felt guilty about going there after canceling on Kimbely and Laura. But it wasn't like I intended to do this. This was much more low-key, there was somewhere inside to smoke (yes I know I shouldn't be smoking at all, but if I'm at a party I'm going to - much better to be somewhere I could smoke inside in the warm), and no one would care if I left before midnight. It just seemed like I could handle this.

Ben came, as did Miss Kat, dana, and Greg was up from Atlanta. And it was very nice, friendly and relaxed. The time went faster than I thought, and before I really knew it, it was after 11. I was feeling tired, but I decided to stay on to midnight to ring in the new year with friends. I did, and left shortly after.

So I got home and got to bed. I'm glad I went. Staying at home alone tonight would have just been too depressing.

No comments: