Sunday, December 6, 2009

A post in which there are a million things to do

And yet they miraculously don't get done.

I was up bright and early this morning because I didn’t do anything last night. There was tons to do today, so I started in. I put in a load of laundry, and put some sweet potatoes in to bake. I’m doing sweet potato casseroles this year for parties, and I got some free taters from Carl last week. They are enormous.

That done, I ate some breakfast, got dressed, and headed for the flea market. There were a few vegetables I wanted to pick up to make lunches with today. I was trying to get all my chores done early so that I could go and play with Russ and Billy tonight (we had talked about that Thursday when I got my hair cut), but they headed me off at the pass. Before I could get to White Horse Road, Russ called and invited me to go to Barnyard with them today. Of course I said yes, turned around, and high-tailed it over there.

After the obligatory stop at Starbucks, we headed for Duncan. We were later than I like to be, but I wasn’t really going for anything other than veggies and the visit today. One of my regular guys out there had a Mayfair cake plate (which I didn’t buy because I think they’ve been reproduced) and another pink American Sweetheart salver like I bought last week, this one for only $5, but I didn’t buy; partially because I just wasn’t in a buying mood, and partially because I just bought one last week. I should have picked it up. It was a good price, and would have made a good spare if nothing else.

Russ checked in with some women he knows who make hand-beaded jewelry, which is the reason we went up. I picked a necklace up too (I’m doing some elfing this year for Dad) while we were there – they were really pretty, and the women were really nice.

I hadn’t bought any glass today, but we stopped at the little junky flea market on the way out. One guy had a lot of glass, which he had apparently purchased as a lot from an antique store that was going out of business. He had two Sapphire Blue Fire King lids that he thought went together (one of them was a pie-plate lid), but I explained to him that they didn’t and bought the knob lid from him for $3. He also sold me a pink Madrid candle stick for $1. There was only the one. It’s weird that I turned down the great price on that salver, and then bought this odd candle stick. But I felt sorry for it. It has wax caked all over the inside. Weird.

Madrid candlestick in pink by Federal Glass Co, circa 1932-1939

Leaving there, we went on to Corona’s for lunch since Russ was craving Mexican food. Their spinach enchiladas are really excellent there.

By this point I was stuffed and tired. I had been up since early this morning. When we got back to their place, I scampered home for a quick nap and a shower before we went out for supper this evening with David and Brian to discuss particulars of the SC Bears Christmas party. They’re hosting it this year.

After a half hour of sleep, I felt refreshed, but stuffed still from lunch. The last thing I wanted was something else to eat. We ended up going to Ni Hao though, and as soon as I walked and smelled everything eating seemed like a much better idea.

After dinner, we were all sleepy, and most of us had to work tomorrow. David and Brian peeled off for home. I went back to R&B’s for a bit, but didn’t stay long. The week starts all over tomorrow…

No comments: