Friday, December 25, 2009

A post in which it is Christmas

I had set the alarm for 5:15 this morning, but didn't need it. I was up twice last night, and then again at 4:30. This is the worst sustained bout of insomnia I have ever had. I just decided to make use of the time. I wanted to wear my new hoodie today, but it hadn't been washed. So I put in a load of laundry and had some coffee and a coupla smokes. By the time I got ready and all it was dry.

Before I left the house, I decided to triumphantly pull the brand new living room blinds up for the day, only to have one of them land at my feet when I pulled the string. I guess that one will have to be re-mounted.

It was a nasty, wet, drippy, freezing day. Fortunately I had packed my gifts in a big plastic storage tub last night for transport. I was supposed to be at Dick and Eve's in time to leave by 7am. They wanted to get to Chapin in time to see Ava open her Santa gifts. Usually Eve is a real stickler for time, and I was expecting a call on the way over because I was running about 10 minutes late - but no call. When I got to the house, they were still getting ready. Dad was in the shower still. So I just hung out, drank more coffee, and talked to her while she got ready. Her bronchitis sounded terrible, but she said she felt OK.

Eventually we got the car loaded and headed out. The SUV was so full of presents Dad had to drive by the side mirrors. Lisa had really knocked herself out to make a vegetarian breakfast that Dad could eat - he is on a very restricted diet right now. But Eve has to have something to drink at all times. She drinks tons of diet soda. I was the same way when I drank it. I think that nutra-sweet makes you more thirsty or something. Anyway, we stopped at Hardee's for a drink. I reminded them that Lisa was making breakfast, but they both ordered food anyway. Dad had a loaded omelet biscuit. It was Christmas. I just didn't say anything. He has lost 18lbs at this point, but I'm wondering if he's going to start slacking off again.

Eve, packed in among the presents

We got to Lisa's house about 9:30. Remarkably Ava was still sleeping, but of course the commotion soon woke her and she remembered it was Christmas. While Lisa started her opening gifts, I put the strata together for breakfast and got it in the oven. None of her family are morning people - even the baby. But by the time I got the food in, they'd had their coffee and were starting to officially wake up. Christmas began in earnest.

I made out like a bandit for presents. I didn't get anything this year I didn't like. Cole gave me a sparkly ball to play with at my desk. They had given one to Ava for her birthday and I'd had a fit for it, but had forgotten all about it. Lisa picked out a cha-cha cake server for me in the shape of a high heel for Ava to give me; not something I would have bought for myself, but it's much. Dad got me the butter dish, salt and pepper shakers, and the bread plates to match my set of Depression glass. That finishes everything I wanted for the set! Eve got me a huge lavender Slanket. It was really nice - it's big enough to wrap around my feet. She had gotten one for everyone this year and had their names embroidered on them, but on mine she had "MrThing" embroidered on!! I got a huge kick out of that. Lisa and Carl gave me a dinner plate in BB's Wedgwood pattern, which was great. It was a lovely Christmas.

Everyone seemed to like what I got them. Dick and Eve seemed to genuinely like the antique wrought iron door stop I got them, or if they didn't they were really nice about it. They put it on the hearth when we got home. Cole's boxing gloves fit, to my relief. Lisa was happy to get her blender, and it didn't seem to bother her that it was white (her kitchen is done in black and brushed steel, which I hadn't thought about when I found it).

Ava loved the kitchen set that Dick and Eve bought her. Eve had gone to a lot of trouble getting pretty much everything you could think of to go with it. There was a complete set of metal child's cookware a including colander and wok, utensils, dishes, cups, etc. She played and played. Lisa had gotten her a little table and chairs with (amazingly) a tablecloth and napkin set that had a good bit of pink in it. When we finished opening gifts, Ava took the monkey pajamas I had given her to Carl and insisted that he put them on her. She then took all the linens from the table, laid them out carefully on my back (I was lying in the floor) and arranged a picnic tea party all around me in the floor. It was very cute.

Ava playing at her little table in the monkey jammies I gave her. She was far too intent to look at the camera.

Cole is apparently a serious guitar player. He got a new electric guitar that was fairly intimidating. He tuned it up and played with it for a while, then spent the rest of the afternoon trying to tune up the beginner guitar they got for Reagan to limited success. The strings that came on it weren't very good.

We spent the afternoon visiting, talking, and just enjoying Christmas. The house was beautiful, and it was obvious Lisa had put in a lot of time cleaning and decorating. It was very relaxing and enjoyable. It was a good Christmas. We ate dinner around 7. Carl had grilled a delectable salmon, and Lisa made a variety of vegetables and a brown and wild rice medley to go with it in deference to Dad's diet. We had ambrosia salad for dessert.

But eventually, it was time to hit the trail. I was tired. I haven't slept through the night in two weeks now, and I was feeling it. Plus I have overdone for the last couple of days.

Dad said a prayer of thanks for the great day and the visit with the family; then spent the next half hour trashing Paul and Cindy. Eve cried because she hadn't heard from Brenden. Dad had been pretty good all day today, but he just can't maintain that level of amicability for such a sustained amount of time. When we pulled in to the house, he castigated Eve roundly for not having hauled off the trash this week, of all things. Never mind that she's had Christmas to organize, has been working at the shop during the busiest season, and has been sick. I apologized to her, and helped him load the trash into his truck to haul off tomorrow. He had several employees call in for tomorrow, which will be very busy because customers will be redeeming the gift certificates their wives got them.

By this time, I was whooped. It's been a long day. I went home, brought more stuff into my completely trashed house, and collapsed into bed. Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: