Monday, December 28, 2009

A post in which I hit the home stretch, and meet Gracine!

Today was going to be a big day. I was finally putting the glass back in the cabinets in the Green Room! I was very excited about that.

I started by sorting piles - Goodwill, trash, and recycling - then got out the boxes of glass that had been put away earlier. I have new glass from Dad to put in the gorgeous garden window in the kitchen as well. Justin had done a lovely job placing the glass for me the last time he did it, so I took pictures of the placement with my phone before I moved it all.

I was happily placing glass in the cabinets when the phone rang. It was the window people. They were asking about my satisfaction level, etc. I told them about the lateness, etc, and then we got to the garden window trim. I had been really debating with myself about saying anything at all. I was pretty close to just sending a check and calling it a day, but I knew it wasn't right. Still it looked good if you didn't touch it, and would make access to that wire easier for dana later when she wired the house. But since they called and asked, I started talking about it. The woman interrupted me, and said "Let me get Mr. Williams on the phone with you." He is the owner, and had personally quoted me because a woman I work with's husband used to work for him.

I started talking to him about what they had done. I finally just said, "Look. Your office is right around the corner. Come look at this work. If you would be happy with it in your house, I'll write you a check and that will be the end of it." He came by. He looked at it, and I explained that the rest of the work was really beautiful, but that I just wasn't happy with this finish. He tapped it, sighed, and said "Well I see why he did what he did, but I can also see why you're not happy with it. I'll come in first thing tomorrow, tear this out, and put wood in for you around the sill." So I was happy that it will be fixed and be right now, but I am inwardly groaning that I'm going to have workmen in the house again. It will be worth it in the long run, I keep reminding myself.

After he left, I was placing glass and planning my errands for when I got done. I was also waiting for a call from the dealership. My car was supposed to be ready around noon today. At 11:00 I couldn't stand it any more. I called Bob and asked what was going on. He had found one car, but turned it down because it had 600 miles on it. He said he had found another that was fresh off the truck, and was leaving to get it at 1pm. It would be ready by 5 or 6pm tonight. Although I was impatient, it was OK. I have more stuff to haul off, and this would give me time to do it in the Bomber so I wouldn't have to do it in my brand new car.

I was working away when the phone rang again, and I was called out on an errand of mercy. My house is really starting to look like my home again (only cleaner) and I am SO ready to have this done. Being in the home stretch is just maddening. But Miss Kat asked me a favor, and with all they have done for me I just couldn't refuse. I put down what I was doing, cleaned up, and headed out. I went by Miss Kat and dana's house and delivered my Christmas present to dana. She was very happy to get it.

After a brief visit with her, I headed back to the house. It was about 4, and I figured I had time to finish the last of the clearing-out on the Bomber and an errand or two before I went by to pick up the car. I was wrapping Russ and Billy's present (we had made plans to do Christmas and go to dinner tonight) when the phone rang. It was Bob. The car was ready!! I dropped everything and flew to the dealership.

I went through the usual signing my life away. That's to be expected. I finally got into the finance office, and the guy started his patter about one of the 500 convenient extended warranty options. After about fifteen minutes of this, I just interrupted him and said "Look. I know you have to do this, but I'm not buying any of this stuff. If you could bare-bones it for me, I would really appreciate it." Much to my surprise, he stopped, drew a line on the paper, wrote "Declined" on it, and had me sign it. I thought that was pretty funny. The car was finally mine! I went out with Bob to go through the programming class he is required to give, and was so excited I forgot the keys. We had to go back in for them.

An hour after I arrived, I drove off the lot in my beautiful new car!! I was so happy!

Gracine, my beautiful new car! A 2010 Honda Insight

I headed out, gleefully watching my gas mileage and just getting used to the new car. I had plans tonight, but I had to go by to show Dad the very first thing; he had been so much help in buying the car. I drove straight to the shop. He was fairly busy, but I just walked in and handed him the keys. He walked right outside with me and we went for a little test drive. He actually liked the car a lot more than he expected to. It is a good driving car, and still has that newness of course. He was impressed with the way it drove and the feel of it on the road. He said it didn't feel like a little car, although of course it is. He was absolutely delighted with the auto-shutdown. When you stop at a red light, the engine shuts completely off if the heat isn't running. Every time it did that he laughed delightedly - it was so funny. He was hoping we would get caught by red lights so it would shut down again.

It's not the perfect vehicle. I'm not thrilled with the looks of it (although I love the color - it's supposed to be sky blue, but actually has a blue-green shimmer in real life, like a light aqua-marine), the rear visibility isn't great, and it has the open cargo hold (I asked about a cover at the dealership - $200!!). There is a huge blind spot off the right rear, but it has correspondingly large side mirrors, which I'm going to have to get used to watching closely. But it drives well, and I love the inside of it, which is what I'm going to be seeing anyway. It's a very nice car, will run like a Honda, and I can afford it. I am a VERY grateful and happy ex-Chrysler owner.

Dad's test drive out of the way, I cheerfully ran all over town. I went to my house and picked up R&B's presents. I ran by and got Miss Kat's present also, which was the only one I hadn't bought. Then I went on to Russ and Billy's house. Miss Kat and dana came over as well, and we had a good visit. Russ had brought home some of his Aunts' fabulous holiday cakes for us to try. There was a decadent red velvet with a rich cream cheese icing and nuts. There were so many layers it was more properly a torte than a cake. There was also a gorgeous coconut cream cake that managed to be simultaneously light as air and deliciously moist. Miss Kat and dana had already eaten though, so we did Christmas with them before we left for dinner. Everyone seemed to like their gifts. I got a setting of BB's china from Russ and Billy, and pair of Stewie fleece pants that were very cute, and soft as love. Miss Kat and dana gave me a silver dollar and a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble - Yay! There is a Bette Davis DVD collection I've had my eye on since last Christmas that I'm going to get. I've been kind of waiting for Michael's present to get here before I go shopping, since he usually sends me movies.

Russ, Billy and I went to Portofino's, which thankfully was open tonight. That tortellini was every bit as good as I remember it being. After a lovely meal, we went back to their house and I visited for a while, but once again I was just too tired to stay late, and Russ has to work tomorrow. It's another long day tomorrow, but today has been a good one.

I went out to my new car. I had already thought she might be a Grace, but her name is Gracine. I always name my cars. They are almost always girls. The Bomber was the first boy car I ever owned (and it may have actually been a boi). I used to have a strict three syllable name rule. My Datsun years ago was Isabelle, and then there was my tan Nissan Tessie Truck. But I broke the three syllable rule when I got my next truck, which was Big Beautiful Burgundy Beulah (I just called her Beulah for short). And then of course there was the Blue Bomber.

Gracine sat, patiently waiting for me. Her stereo sang to me softly and beautifully as she carried me quietly home at 38.5MPG in the city. I think I could seriously love this car, faults and all. Because after all, nothing is perfect in life, right?

No comments: