Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A post in which I discover that I am a nosy neighbor

I slept for about 10 hours last night. I was very surprised to wake up just before the alarm when off instead of the usual 2 hours or so before.

I made my coffee and went out to sit on the porch, as usual. It had really rained last night. My porch was soaked, and I had to dry my chair off before I could sit down. When I looked over at my neighbor’s house, I could see someone sitting on their porch, hunched over. I was surprised. Since the ballerinas work at night, they aren’t morning people. I called out to see if the person was OK, but got no reaction. I decided that it must be one of the girls talking on the phone, which is what they are frequently doing on the porch. But they were so still. No person could be that still. It has to be something left outside, I told myself; but I couldn’t figure out what it could be. I then made out feet under the bottom of the chair. (My eyes aren’t the best at a distance of over about 6 feet, and it was still fairly dark out.) Then I thought what if something is wrong? What if Frankie is crying? I fretted about and weighed giving them their privacy against my concern. I don’t want to be a nosy neighbor, and generally I’m not. Finally I decided that nothing could have happened that offering a fresh cup of coffee would hurt, went inside, put my shoes on, and headed over. When I got about half-way over there, I realized I had been worrying about an artificial tree leaned up against a chair. I decided that it would be OK, and went back to finish my coffee.

Work was rough today, but smoothed out later. I was really still glad when it was time to go though.

My tactic for putting off Christmas cards tonight was to go see Dick and Eve. I had some elf gifts I had gotten for Dad to give to Eve to deliver, plus I wanted to show them the outfit I got for Grandma Shumate. They both liked it. Dad was worried about it buttoning up the front, but I figured she has help, and better to unbutton another button to get it on over her head than mush her hair. I’ve done my best. I hope she likes it.

Eve got take-away from Fried Green Tomatoes for supper, but she got me Crowder peas, which is one of the few vegetables I really don’t like at all. I ate them anyway. I rode to the shop with Dad to get a pie one of his employees had made for him. She is a very sweet woman, and worries that Dad is craving for something sweet since he’s been taken off all sugar, but since he’s supposed to be on a diet, I don’t know that she’s doing him any favors. The pie is sugar-free, but still had calories in it. But I guess he has to eat something. He’s lost about 18 pounds, Eve told me last night.

I was glad to get home and get into bed. It was a long day.

Tomorrow, Christmas cards for sure.

No comments: