Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A post in which I have dinner at Dick and Eve's

My phone went off with a text at 6:03am this morning. I was in the middle of that sweet, end-of-the-night REM sleep too. Not a great way to start the day, but whattayagonnado? I got up and made coffee.

I went into work and started panicking because my boss wanted his reserve (the third one in the last 30 days - sheesh) as a top priority this morning. But I also had to pull the regular weekly reports, and start working on year end. But since half my reports for year end didn't run at all, I didn't really have all that much work to do right away anyway, as it turned out. The calm before the storm, but I'll take what calm I can get.

I had intended to go straight home tonight, do some laundry, and turn in early, but Eve called and invited me to dinner. She says it's no problem for me to come any night now since the doc has taken Dad off all meat. Well I haven't seen them in a week or so, didn't see them at Thanksgiving, plus Eve had the rest of my present for Ava that she had picked up. So I told her I would come.

Paul called also, to ask about Dad's health, so I filled him in on the latest details, then told him I had to go because I was really busy with work. He sounded pissed off, but I did have to go.

Eve had made bean enchaladas, Mexican rice, salad, homemade guacamole; it was quite a meal. But she wasn't happy with the way anything turned out. I thought it was delicious.

We had a nice meal and a visit. Dad gave me some more glass "odds and ends" he'd picked up on Ebay. There was a Patrician Spoke plate. I don't usually buy amber glass, but Miss Kat and dana have given me one also, so I have a pair now.


Patrician "Spoke" 11" dinner plate in amber by Federal Glass Company, circa 1933-1937

There was also a Ruby Red cup and saucer set. I usually don't buy cups any more because no one wants to use them, and these weren't Depression Era, but the set was pretty.

Charm cup and saucer in ruby red by Anchor Hocking, circa 1950-1956

Dad had also bought Eve a Princess cookie jar (presumably because she wanted the one he bought for me), and a Cameo cookie jar that was really pretty, although Dad told me that it was supposed to be a reproduction. It looked real to me. I'll have to look it up in the book.

But after a while, I just had to go home. I haven't been home one evening since last Tuesday night. I'm feeling worn down. I went home, washed the dishes, turned on South Park, and went to bed.

No comments: