Thursday, December 3, 2009

A post in which I read compulsively*

My regular morning guy came by this morning, which worked out fine since I was up with insomnia anyway. I had time to have coffee before he got here. I haven’t seen him since I started dating Jason. It was good to see him. I guess I'm spinning my wheels, but I guess that's better than not stepping on the gas at all.

When I got paid last week I paid my bills and actually had a bit of money left over. Of course I promptly spent that on Christmas presents, but I’ve been thinking about matters fiscal lately. My boss told me today that we are still getting our profit-sharing this year, and I was pretty stoked about that. But then I was thinking, “What am I going to do with that money?” Usually my bonus goes straight to Visa. Of course I could always save it. Yeah right. I guess that’s what I really should do. My financial planner advised that I should have six month’s salary in savings, and I have like $200 usually. It would be nice to have a little safety cushion. I’m just so used to being strapped to the bone all the time that it’s new for me to have to actually put thought into what to do with money. But of course there is always a use or a need for more money. I’m quite sure it’ll get gone somehow.

I went to see Russ and had my hair cut tonight, but could barely put down book three in the Anita Blake series, Circus of the Damned, long enough to do anything. That series just keeps getting better, although I did find a plot hole in this one. It also annoys me that the heroine is supposedly only 24 years old. I’m sorry, but she thinks about things and shows judgment that no 24-year-old has every showed (sorry Justin). I just can’t buy it. But I could forget about it if she didn’t keep mentioning it in the narrative. Still, they are a cracking good read, and I pretty much couldn’t do anything until I finished the heart-stopping conclusion of Circus.

After I finished it I did my evening chores and answered a very friendly email from my friend Gene before starting on the next, The Lunatic Café (which I keep pronouncing in my head as ‘kafe’ like Michael used to, for some reason). It started off well, and has lots of werewolves in it – and I’m not imagining them as the hairless kind like in that New Moon movie either. I’ll confess that I looked up the pics of Taylor Lautner online. He looks good for a child, but I want my werewolves to have some fur dammit.

I took Café to bed with me. I very rarely read before bed any longer, but Laurell K Hamilton may wean me off the DVD player yet. And kudos to her.

No comments: