Saturday, December 19, 2009

A post in which I am selfish

Well one of my Christmas ideas I was most looking forward to fell flat this morning. I was going to get a gag gift for Miss Helen, and got up early to go down to Anderson to get it. Unfortunately, I guess because of last night's weather, a lot of the vendors hadn't shown up - including the one I needed to see. I was very disappointed. I kicked myself for not buying what I wanted months ago - I knew I was going to do this last Christmas. Why I put it off is a mystery to me.

Since I was down there anyway, I wasted time walking around to see what was there - precious little. The day had turned off pretty, if cold, and there were plenty of people out there shopping, but there wasn't much to choose from. I headed on back to the house eventually to get ready to go shopping with Justin.

One of the nice things that happened last night was that Justin and I emailed and set up plans today to go antiquing at a place called Anne's Antiques. I had always meant to go in there, but never quite gotten around to it. But before we could leave, we did Christmas presents first. I knew Justin was dying to open his. He knew what it was before he opened it, and it was big hit. I got him a Cherry Blossom sandwich tray like mine - it has long been one of his favorite pieces in my collection. I kind of dodged a bullet there, because he was just convinced that was what I had gotten him, although I thought I had played it really cool. He told me he would have been disappointed if that hadn't been what it was, so I was really glad I got the right thing!

I was also finally able to get the Official Justin OK on my boat shoes - they passed muster. We then had a confab about the bedspread. He was very good about helping me to focus and make a decision. I ordered the new one online before we left the house. It is the most I have ever paid for a bedspread, but hopefully it will be correspondingly beautiful. I think it will coordinate with my valance fabric Mother gave me, and I should be able to pull some colors I like out of it to re-paint the bedroom. There are a lot of different colors to choose from (crossing the fingers).

I wish I had gone to Anne's before today. The woman working there was very nice, they had a nice inventory, and many of the prices weren't outrageous. We went over to pick up some soup bowls Justin had found that matched his pattern. While we were there, we of course walked through, and I found some blue Bubble Glass. You can see the first piece I bought (I have posted pictures of this pattern numerous times). It is just going from there at this point. Today was quite a coup - four dinner plates and a saucer, and not insanely priced. I snapped those right up, along with a Cloverleaf saucer. I love that pattern, but don't see it very often. It tends to run high, but this saucer was reasonable. $3 I could live with.



Cloverleaf saucer in green by Hazel-Atlas, circa 1930-1936

I was pretty happy about the visit to Anne's, and had told Justin that we would just go to that store. I was trying to be careful no to over-do because I have Christina's graduation party tonight. Since I haven't been to a single holiday thing I was really looking forward to it. But on the way to lunch we had to ride right by Southern Estates. We went in there just for a run-through, and I was glad we did! I found a Princess vase that I decided I couldn't live without, and bought yet another ash tray. I really have to stop buying ash trays. I can't believe I went out and bought more glass, since I'm going to have to pack all of it for the window people to come. I also felt kind of guilty buying a bunch of stuff for myself for Christmas, but I have already done my Christmas shopping (except for one present - an idea for Miss Kat continues to elude me). Justin told me he didn't think I should feel bad.

Princess Vase in green by Anchor Hocking, circa 1931 - 1935

We left there and out for a Mexican lunch. Mexican has become kind of a habit with us when we are out antiquing. It was very nice, but by the time we were done, I was flagging. I had overdone it. I got in and lay down on the couch for a nap. I knew I was going to need some rest to go to the party tonight. I put off all the packing up for tomorrow, so that should be an adventure. But I don't have anything else planned, and lunches are done for next week, so I should be OK. Hopefully.

I napped for a while, and woke up feeling like crap. But after I stirred around for a bit I felt better. I just laid up on the couch and played on the computer until it was time to get ready. By the time I got done, I felt OK. Not great, but OK. I was determined not to miss this party.

Nicole had called because we had talked about riding together, and she came on to the house. We had a hilarious time actually just getting there, jetting in and out of stores to do stuff at the last minute, since neither of us was really prepared to go. I got there in a better mood than I had gotten ready to go.

Donnie was there, and I got to give him his gift, a silly Christmas ornament I had gotten him. I visited with everyone. George (aka the Loch Ness monster and his wife were there. It was good to see them again. Many of the usual crew were there: Mark, Rick and James, Amy, and a lovely couple I hadn't met before, but really enjoyed meeting.

I was having such a great time that I over-taxed myself. Before I knew it, I was too far gone. I was drinking, and I think these last couple of weeks have cleaned out my system too much. I just couldn't handle it. So I ended up in the floor, and was having a hard time thinking about moving. Fortunately Nicole was very nice about it, and equally fortuitously, she could drive a stick. I managed to get outside, and she picked me up in my car and took me home. Whew! What a day!!

No comments: