Sunday, May 31, 2009

A post in which domesticity looms large

I had things I had to do today. I've been kind of living a dream for the past two weeks, but dreams just do not do yard work. Add to that the daily rainfall we've been having, and the natural exuberance of southern plant life and I had the beginnings of a rain forest going on. Danny has been mowing the grass for me, but with vines creeping in from every side, it was time to go out and kill things.

I've been killing things ever since I moved into my little old house. I curse that poor woman that owned it before me every summer as I try to keep that ^&%%$##!!! wisteria from eating the house, the yard, the fences, and everything else. Volunteer trees abound, as does every weed known to man. Birds love my yard, and one of the consequences of that is that their little potties leave seeds for everything everywhere.

I intended to let M sleep while I got out and hit the high spots in the morning cool. But there were more high spots than I thought. To my surprise, M came out to help work in the yard. Now there is a way to my heart. He was a real trooper, stripping off his shirt and digging in to the real nitty gritty that needed to be done. I weeded the flower bed, did some weed-eating, killed things in the dog lot, and mowed. We ended up being out there until about 1pm. It was the first really hot day today, and by the time we got done we were both wiped.

We adjourned to the porch to cool down a bit with some ice water, then hit the showers and popped a movie in. I made a spot of lunch while we watched a movie, the ac running and the ceiling fan turned up. After the movie and a sufficient reward for his hard work, M took a nap; but I was too restless, and puttered around the house a bit.

Eventually he got up, and we initially decided to go to the grocery store, after which I would fix dinner. But I got hungry, and it was getting late, so we went on out to eat. I figured that was the least I could do after all he had done today. We went to Barley's Pub downtown. They do have great pizza, but I usually avoid it because it's incredibly noisy, and kind of a hip place. Also a gay guy got killed down there a couple of years ago, and it just left a bad place in my mind about it. But M likes it, and after a) all the work he did; and b) his being a good sport about my restaurant on Friday night, I figured eating at his place was a small compromise to make. I worry that I'm not compromising enough. I have a tendency to be set in my ways. I don't think M is a push-over (thank God) but I want to be sure I'm being fair and being good to him.

We had a great talk about the coming weekend trip to River's Edge, his birthday, the people that would be there, etc, but our pizza took forever. It was good, but we were both glad to get out of the echo chamber when we left. We went by the grocery store so I could pick up a few things to start the week, and then he went on home. His roommate was wondering when she would see him. I guess it wasn't much of a "fun date" kind of day, but M said he was just happy to have spent it with me.

I am grateful for every day this man is in my life.

I had a bit of time to myself after he left to think. It's surprising to me how easily M has fit into life, and how comfortable I am around him. It feels natural to be with him. I took the pictures of Michael and me down out of the house last week. It wasn't a big dramatic thing (hence the lack of an entry when I actually did it), it just seemed to be time.

I slept alone tonight for the first time since last Sunday. I didn't feel lonely though, because my special guy is out there, and I know he's thinking of me and I'll see him soon. That's a nice feeling.

No comments: