Saturday, May 30, 2009

A post in which M meets Miss Kat and dana

It was a great morning this morning. Waking up with M at the house was lovely.

I let him sleep and got up and piddled around the house a bit, and then he woke up and we had some breakfast and got ready for his first flea market trip.

Yes, gentle readers, you heard me correctly. Yours truly, Duchess of Dumpster Divers, Sovereign of the Salvation Army, Yoko Ono of Yard Sales, and Fergie of Flea Markets, has become involved with a flea market virgin. Thank goodness that’s the only kind of virgin he is (after he woke up we started the weekend in properly newlywed fashion), but I digress.

Since it was his first time, I opted for the splendor of quantity rather than the superiority of goods, since he has not yet developed the finely honed quality-of-crap detector of an advanced junk hound like myself. In short, we went to the Anderson Jockey Lot, where six acres of cast-off redneck treasures awaited our rifling. We had a good time. He was somewhat taken aback, but open to the experience. I scored a Glasbake lid for a buck, and had the casserole to go with it at home. There wasn’t much else there, except for 49,000 guns. I’ve never seen so many at the flea market, but it’s a seller’s market right now. We did the whole outside and part of the inside, and got some produce on the way out.

When we got back we had lunch out (Mexican, of course, because of my continued Pavlovian fixation on nachos after the flea market) and a nap. After that, I got up and started cooking. We agreed that we would start eating in more, because eating out all the time was getting too expensive, and because we both like to eat healthier than you generally can out.

I had already talked to Miss Kat and dana about a visit tonight, and since I didn’t make cookies for them last weekend, I threw a pie in the oven to take over. It tasted fine, but it looked funny because I’m still using up that special dark cocoa that seemed like a good idea, but makes everything look tarry and black.

I also started working on dinner. We had bought a large batch of summer squash, which I cooked up with onions and fresh oregano from the back yard (which is taking over), and served with a batch of saffron rice. It turned out well. We also had our Indian left-overs from last night, which M ate. He doesn't eat left-overs usually. I can't imagine that, since I live on them.

After dinner we headed on over to Miss Kat and dana's house for a visit. We opened some wine that had apparently gotten skunky. I don't know what you call it when wine turns bad, but this had; so we opened another bottle and just visited, talked, and smoked. It was another comfy visit to their house, and M seemed to fit right in. We petted the dogs, watched movies, and just chatted. It was a lovely evening, as usual. All the better for having someone special to go home with me.

No comments: