Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A post in which I head to Spartanburg for the night

Well since I was up anyway, I woke M up and we greeted the day in a suitably new fling fashion. He was pretty good about it, especially since he isn’t a morning person.

After that we got up and got ready for work. I sent a bag along with him with my work clothes for tomorrow, and packed an extra lunch to put in the fridge at work. Virgo organization at its best.

I’m still sleepy, but really don’t mind.

Terry, who sits beside me at work today, was giving me down the road about my self-image. I'm the first one to preach to women about the unrealistic body image they are sold by the media, and that American men are societally programmed to expect. Someone brought doughnuts into the office today - again. A woman came over to talk to me about an issue, and not only brought it to my desk, but stood there and ate it while she talked to me. I was saying I was glad that they were on the other side of the area, since I am big as a house already, and Jeannette was like "Steve, you are NOT as big as a house." I said something about having to keep up with my workouts if I was going to have a trophy boyfriend, and Terry was right on me. "Well you may have a trophy boyfriend, but he obviously doesn't want a broomstick." she said. One of my best lines I use on her - "Women are not supposed to be built like broomsticks." Served right back at me.

After work, I hit the gym and then headed for Spartanburg. It was good, I think, that the real world is peeking back in a bit. It actually helped with the drag of fatigue on me as well. When I got done I felt surprisingly good and refreshed.

On the way up I stopped off at Justin’s to get my boom box, which I had left over there Saturday night. It’s an iPod docking station, and the only way I can charge my iPod now, for some reason. Of course I had to tell why I was up that way on a school night. There were a good many questions that I’m just not ready to answer yet, but Justin was pretty good about it. He was thrilled that I’m breaking so many of my rules. This guy is way too young for me, and way too pretty to be anything but trouble.

When I got to M’s house, his roommate and her friends were there hanging out. There I was in my gym clothes. But they were nice, and I love lesbians anyway. One of the things I like best about them is the lack of judgment about clothes. We chatted for a bit, and then they headed off for another softball game, leaving us the house. There was a birthday celebration tonight for one of the girls.

M was packing for his trip for Florida. He leaves tomorrow. I hung out and helped pack the car and stuff, and we talked. I found out a bit more about him, past relationships, etc. Much food for thought.

We went out for dinner at an interesting little Japanese-goes-meat-n-three restaurant near his house, and afterwards went to Wal-Mart so he could lay in some food for when he got back since he wouldn’t have time to do it then. He eats a lot of frozen food, apparently – Lean Cuisine and the like – ugh. But he doesn’t cook, and there are worse things he could be eating. He apparently has to watch his cholesterol as well. It’s surprising how natural it feels for us to just be out doing stuff together, like shopping for groceries. I doubled back to pick up some bread at one point, and when I headed back his way I was surprised to find him just standing there. “What are you doing?” I asked. “Just looking at you.” he replied. I think I understand better now what it is he sees in me, but a lightning-hot bod is just not one of the attributes I’m seeing in the pro column. Nice to be appreciated though.

About the time we got home and stowed the food, the girls were back from the game. After another brief chat they went downstairs to celebrate the birthday, and we headed for bed. The intention was to turn in early, since we both needed the sleep, but of course we got distracted. Neither one of us minded a bit, actually.

It was another long night though. I just can’t get comfortable in his bed, as big as it is. But then I don’t sleep well away from home anyway.

No comments: