Thursday, May 28, 2009

A post in which I blissfully head for Spartanburg

It was pretty much a red letter day today.

I got up with the sweetest boy in the world, and saw him off to work. I had a moment to quietly and happily reflect before I left the house for work.

When I got to work, River’s Edge called. They have a vacancy for next weekend, and I was able to get a cabin. M was amenable. So I not only get to see Al, Mike, and Brian; but I get to go to RE with a boyfriend. That will be new. We’ll see how this goes. M is used to having to deflect the attention he gets wherever he goes, but I’m still expecting to have to do pitchfork duty from time to time to keep the lustful masses down to a manageable level. That weekend will be M’s birthday.

Which brings on the major quandary. What the hell do I get him for a present? He says, of course, that I’m all the present he needs. But I can’t let the first birthday together pass without a gift; and not just a gift. It’s his first birthday with me. So it has to be sensitive, memorable, and perfect. Ugh. We’re really too early in the relationship for me to know his taste well enough to pick out something for him. I wouldn’t attempt to buy clothes – we have just about opposite taste. It’s too early for jewelry, and I just sent flowers this week. So I’m pretty much screwed. But enough about the good news.

I’ve turned over various ideas in my head, and asked some of the girls at work for advice, but I’m coming up with zilch. And if I’m going to order something, time is fast running out.

Other than that, I’m sitting on top of the world with a rainbow around my neck. We continue to get to know each other better, and I’m feeling much more like this could work in the real world. We have lots of different interests, but enough of the same that I think we’ll be able to find stuff to do together. We like many of the same movies, apparently.

He did take a book I recommended he try to read, and he’s actually reading it, which is nice. He’s given me some muscle mags and abs books to read, but I have to confess I haven’t been as open about that. I’m in the best shape right now that I’ve been in about 18 months. I feel pretty good about how I look until I look at myself in the mirror next to him. This is something I’m going to have to get used to. He is being wonderful, and says he doesn’t care if I work out at all. It’s not a major issue, but my poor esteem about my body is going to need some beefing up. I’m playing affirming music during my workouts and stuff.

After work I hit the gym and went home to head for Spartanburg. Up until now, it’s felt like running a race every day to get to him so we could spend every possible second together – it felt like I had to get all the time I could in while I could. I was more relaxed today. I feel like we will have time together. Not complacency, just looking forward to it and relaxing.

We went out to Jade House tonight, the only officially Justin-approved Chinese buffet in Spartanburg. I’ll say this, I’m eating lighter around M; not because I feel like he expects it, but because he eats lighter usually, and it’s easier not to overeat around him than around some of my friends. I like that. He also eats fairly healthily, and it’s nice not to have to worry about him griping about vegetables and stuff. He eats a lot of the same kinds of food I do, which is nice.

We had a nice dinner and just went back to his place to relax. We’re both a bit behind on domestic stuff, so we did a bit of that at his house. His roommate J came in with her girlfriend, and I got to talk to them a bit. I like J, and she’s nice to me, but I can tell she’s holding back a bit to see if I last before she makes the effort, which is fine, and perfectly understandable. I think it will just take an evening of hanging out and socializing and we’ll be buds. It’ll happen.

M and I just lay on his bed and talked for a while tonight. I had kind of spilled my guts over breakfast this morning after having a very emotional moment when I woke to him sleeping beside me. Since he isn’t a morning person, it was a bit much for him to take in so early. Fortunately, I’m used to being around non-morning people and I figured out what was going on. But he took the time tonight to tell me his side of things and not leave me hanging. He read for a while, and I tried to go on to sleep. It didn’t work, which was fine, and we ended up making sweet hot love with the windows cracked as it rained outside.

No comments: