Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A post in which my hole is plugged

I was up at 2:30 this morning. I finally got back to sleep about 4, after having to eat something else. I didn't eat enough dinner last night. That makes for a rough morning though. I had to get it in gear today because I had Wednesday reports to do, plus I had to get ready for the handyman to come before I left. I managed to get to work pretty much on time, which was a small miracle.

It was a fairly average day at work. I'm breaking in a new guy to doing the Canadian numbers, and had to goad him a bit, but fortunately I had time for that today.

Alan (the handyman) called this afternoon to tell me he was done with the raccoon hole, had used the materials I had there, and that I owed him a very reasonable amount of money. He had already left the house and told me I could just mail him a check. I was very pleased, but still somewhat disbelieving. He is at least a very nice guy. I hit the gym, then went by the post office on the way home and mailed his check so he would get it tomorrow. Then I went home to view the work. It was a great job - you really wouldn't even notice the patch unless you knew where it was. I am thrilled.

I kind of felt bad for making him drive over for such a small job, but I'm going to have him pressure-wash the house next week, and I'm going to get him to paint the windows for me. That will pull them through another couple of years and give me time to put a roof on the house. He does window replacements too though, and I'm thinking I may start on that and just do a couple at a time. I'll have to ask him about doing that as well. I am tickled to find someone who actually wants to work, and doesn't charge an arm and a leg just for showing up. It is a weight off my mind to no longer have to worry about critters in my attic also.

I triumphantly consumed 1,400 calories for dinner, in hopes of sleeping through the night tonight. I feel thinner when I exercise, even if I'm not.

No comments: