Thursday, April 2, 2009

A post in which I do good work

I was up at 4am this morning. Since I haven't been sleeping well, I guess I'm better. The cats have spring fever, and wake me up at night having endless races through the house. I needed coffee today.

I watched a documentary called "Nazi Pop Twins" on hulu this morning while I got ready. I am officially hooked on online video. This one was quite disturbing. It was about a singing duo called Prussian Blue, two young girls who have become the darlings of the white supremacist movement by singing songs that carry their twisted message. Of course, since the girls started this very young, it's actually their mother's views they are touting, not their own. They have been home schooled since they were very young. In one of the disturbing scenes, the mother is teaching their younger sister the alphabet - this is a pretty near quote:

"A is for Aryan - like you, a white person! B is for blood - like the blood your forefathers shed so that you could be free, white, and proud!"

You get the gist.

Interestingly, now that they are older and are back in public school, the girls aren't as enthusiastic about their role in the movement. They have started writing other kinds of songs. This has apparently created some tension with their mother. You can hear them having a "private" discussion (they were miked), in which the mother says "You need to be conscious of the fact that you are on camera. They are going to be gone in an hour, and after that you can be a cunt all evening if you want. But behave for now." Nice parenting. It just makes me sick that people raise their kids this way. And folks say gay people shouldn't have children! It makes me nuts.

When I got to work, I still didn't have the reports I needed to finish the presentation. I worked on what I could, then got varicose veins in my neck trying to get the rest of them from China. I did eventually get what I needed - a half hour before I had to turn it in. By the time my boss futzed around with it, it was two and a half hours late getting in, but at least I got it done before I left without having to work too late.

The other thing that happened this afternoon was that they brought in the big boss from California for the monthly meeting this month. My boss was all excited because we got to have a question and answer session with him today. True, most of the people in the department don't have that much exposure to him. But I already figured there wasn't going to be much information involved here. The big question everyone wanted to have answered had already been asked, and of course they wouldn't answer that one. After two rounds of lay-offs, people want to know if their jobs are safe. We're not told there are going to be lay-offs. You just come in and someone else is gone. We are told "the crystal ball grows cloudy..." when we ask about jobs. In fact, we spent an hour in a room with him politely and professionally not answering one question. Not one. It was more of a waste of time than even I cynically thought it would be. Usually when I get done masturbating there is at least something to clean up. He didn't even leave a spot. Oy, the amount of bullshit just gets me down. I understand this was supposed to quiet the troops. But the older I get, the less patience I have with the empty gesture. That's really what I mind. It's usually not the job - it's all the corporate bullshit that wears me out. The endless double-speak and needless complication. The petty, back-biting fiefdoms of bureaucracy.

On the way home, I stopped by the library to pick up some books. I have a new book on CD I got for the trip to Columbia this weekend. It's OK, but it's getting Hallmark-y. A woman opens her dream bed and breakfast after she has a terrible relationship experience with a cad. She has meets a guy who wants to interview her (her ex was a politician), but she doesn't know that yet. Of course he is brutally and ruggedly handsome, with piercing blue eyes, etc etc. (I'd kind of like to hear a love story about two people who fall in love because they are really good to each other.) The lively part is that this woman's great grandmother was a madam, and the house the woman bought is the old brothel, which her great grandmother is haunting. That's a mildly amusing spin. The old ho is given a wry voice that is kind of funny.

I finished up watching "Nazi Pop Twins" after dinner, and then watched some clips from "To Catch a Predator" on youtube. For some reason I find those endlessly fascinating, I don't know why. When they lie (as most of them do) I just want to punch them, and when they tell the truth I'm aghast at their sheer gall. Either way I want to hit them. That combination should make for some fucked-up dreams tonight.

I did a load of laundry so my favorite (biggest) pants would be clean to take to Columbia this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing my mother, Cole, and Ava. It should be nice.

No comments: