Sunday, April 19, 2009

A post in which I attend the Hat Party

I had a nap and was fresh for the hat party. It was cool and overcast, but didn’t rain too much.

Russ was excited about getting his hat there, and was worried about being on time. He and Billy had to go to Billy’s mother’s birthday luncheon today. I called Dan’l and talked to him though, and he said that the judging wouldn’t start until about 5. We were there in plenty of time, and then of course the Parade of Hats was delayed, as always. Which was fine. I was there for the party anyway.

Russ wearing his Sweeney Todd hat during the Parade of Hats - I am in the background in the Carmen Miranda hat. We all look fatter than we really are in this picture. This was a fat camera for some reason.

There were some serious hats there this year. Russ got First Runner Up for Original for his Sweeny Todd hat. It was a great hat. He was a bit pissed about the guy that won. It was his first party. His hat was very tall, with movie stuff like popcorn boxes and balloons all over it. He had a confetti cannon in it, but he didn’t shoot it off until after he had done the parade. It was big and flashy though, and that’s what gets the votes. He got a bit cocky about just walking in and taking a category, and I did have to remind him that he was talking to a twice-throned Most Flawless, and not to get too carried away with himself.

Dan’l’s hat was an elaborate diorama of Sunset Boulevard. He had re-created the stairs from the movie, complete with burgundy velvet tasseled curtains and carpet. It was HUGE. He was obviously gunning for Most Flawless again, but got beaten out by a guy with another diorama hat. His was a huge film reel, with a drive-in on top of it. There were little cars facing the drive-in. The screen was set into the Hollywood Hills, with the Hollywood sign across it. He had an iPod mounted into the hill as the screen with a Madonna video playing. It was pretty elaborate.

I don’t remember who won Funniest. I voted for the woman who won First Runner-up. She had an Anna Nicole hat that was pretty damn funny.

I saw both Karens, and was very glad to see them. Of course I saw all the regulars, except for Kimbley and Laura, who were suspiciously absent. I hope they didn’t stay away because of the drama, but then they shouldn’t, since Donnie and I were there. Dan’l was as nice to me as ever, as was Jim. No mention was made of the swing incident, or the drama. I felt a bit uncomfortable about going originally, but when I got there, everything was just like always.

I spent most of the time on the side porch, talking and visiting with people as they came through - although I scrupulously avoided the freshly re-mounted swing. I had a great time. I wore my old Carmen Miranda hat, and was pretty pissed that I was accused of wearing my hat from last year! I mean, it was a recycled hat, but I wouldn’t wear the same hat to two hat parties. That’s tacky. I did feel a bit bad because Eddie Crane showed up in a Carmen Miranda hat too, and although he had made it for the party, it wasn’t as good as mine. We have showed up in similar hats before. He has never won a prize. Dan’l ended up giving him the hanging basket he won for placing.

I did make occasional forays through the house for some lobster dip they had made that was absolutely smashing.

It was a lovely party, as always.

1 comment:

Ms. Red said...

I can't wait to see the pictures!!! As for Laura and Kimbley I doubt they missed the party over the drama,I am sure that Donnie told them things had mostly been resolved. My guess is that something came up. They have occassionally missed a party before.