Friday, April 24, 2009

A post in which I head home

I didn't really know what I should be doing. I wasn't sure where I was supposed to be when I got up today. I was up at 4:30. Since I didn't know, I just went through my morning routine. I knew I had to go to work for a bit to tie up some stuff for month end, so I went on in to the office early.

Mother called me about 10am. She was heading up today, and told me to come up. After that I just kind of went into auto-pilot. I finished up what I needed to do at work, came home, threw some things in a bag, and headed out.

I worked out for Lisa and me to stay at Grandma Shumate's house, since there is no one there right now anyway. The water heater was broken, but my uncle went in and fixed it today so we could have hot water and get ready there.

I went straight on to Granny's house. I got there before Mom and Lisa. Lisa was riding up with Mother. They were supposed to leave at 8:30 this morning, but when I talked to mother at 10 she was still waiting on Lisa to get there. When I talked to them at 11:30, when I left my house, they were loading the car. Lisa got a speeding ticket on the way to Mom's because she was so late. They got there about a half hour after I did, in time for a quick bite before they went to the funeral home to make the arrangements. Granny wouldn't go. By that time the family was arriving. She told Mother and her sisters to go and make all the arrangements, that whatever they picked out was fine.

They didn't get back from the funeral home until after 5 - too late for me to call the office and give them the details.

Cole and I were dispatched to go to pick up some supper for everyone, which we did. Chicken and stuff. While we were eating, my grandmother's sister-in-law came in with a strawberry cake (made from scratch with real strawberries) that was so good I wanted to take her home. Granny's brother JV is in bad shape and is pretty much house-bound at this point.

We stayed and talked with the family until around 9. The baby needed to be put to bed, plus we had to unpack everything, so we went on to Grandma's.

When we got there, my aunt had been in and made all the beds, stocked the refrigerator, and left us some rice crispy treats on the counter. All we had to do was unpack and go to bed, which was a mercy. Lisa and I talked until late.

No comments: