Monday, April 6, 2009

A post in which I get my car squared away

I got up and called the dealership today, since I figured if I had to have a new rim the tire place would have to order it and they would get it more quickly. I was really worried I had messed up the rim last night, so what should have been just a patch job would end up costing a whole lot more. Big O said it was OK to come on in. Of course they wanted me to leave the car, since the dealership wants you to leave the car to have a wiper blade replaced. Since I had the wheel off the car anyway I just left them the wheel. That actually made things a lot easier.

They called me later in the day to tell me that the wheel was fine. I was very relieved that I got to the gas station in time last night. The problem was that the tire service broke the bead on the tire putting it on. I couldn’t help but wonder if this was on purpose, or if they gave me a damaged tire. They were pretty pissed when I told them I wouldn’t pay $70 extra for the replacement guarantee they were hocking. I suppose that’s just cynicism on my part, but I don’t think I’ll be buying any more tires from them.

It turned out the tire from the dealership was about the same price I paid a supposed “discount” tire place. So it was $130 to get it fixed. Yes, that’s a lot of money, but it had to be done anyway, the tire couldn’t have been patched, and it’s worth it at this point to be able to stop worrying about my damn tire all the time.

And a good thing too, since I was invited to an egg-dying party in Spartanburg Friday night. Justin's giving it. I’m pretty stoked about that; it should be fun.

I had an email from Mom. Poppy has been suffering from shingles, and the medicine they put him on for it ate a hole in his stomach. As a result, he had a gastric bleed he had to be hospitalized for. They took him off the medication and he’s improving. He may get to come home by Thursday.

Work was fairly quiet up until the end of the day, when I had to have it out with the account from hell. My boss set up a special deal for them, and they’ve been trying to sweeten it by increments ever since. We had to draw a line in the sand today, and they yowled like stuck cats. But I was able to put it to bed before I left. I had to eat lunch at my desk today so I could leave in time to get to the dealership before they closed.

After I picked up my tire, I went on to the grocery store since I hadn’t had time to go this weekend.

I got home and cooked up a pot of red potatoes with olive oil, garlic, and rosemary. I had those at a benefit last year and they were really good. Plus I had some rosemary that Petal had given us all for Christmas, and I wanted to use it. They turned out delicious. I finally have the secret to red potatoes. You have to use extra water because they soak up so much. If you don’t, they turn out really dry and gloppy. These cooked up plump and tasty.

As I was cleaning up the kitchen, I realized I forgot to get any fruit, so I had to get dressed and go back out to the grocery store. But I was home in no time. It was after 9, and there was no one there.

When I got that straightened out, I went on to bed. After getting in late last night and then the busy day today, I was pooped.

No comments: