Monday, April 20, 2009

A post in which I spend way too much money*

I had taken the day off today to recover from the Hat Party, but after the last couple of days, I really needed it!

I woke up about 5:30, had some more pie and ice cream, and went back to bed. I woke up about 10 or so, and started shifting around. I had some stuff I wanted to get done today, but then I got on the internet and ended up having a buddy come by.

After that, I had some lunch, and did some stuff around the house. I finally got ready to go out about 2:30. I was running errands when it occurred to me that I could go by Red Ribbon Resale today, the AIDS charity shop over near my house. I love going in there, but they are only open during the week when I’m at work. I did notice today that they are open a half Saturday each month now. I did a good rummage there, and at another thrift shop across the street, but didn’t find anything.

Being out bumping around made me think about my old friend Michael, so I called him. He was working, surprisingly. I didn’t think anyone cut hair on Mondays. He said for me to come on by after work and we’d go to dinner. I ran through the Chinese Market to pick up some stuff, but when I got it home, it didn’t seem I needed any of it, except for tamari and rice wine. I had enough rice wine left to do one batch of Korean Pickles, but after that I would have been out. Since summer is coming, I know I’ll be making those pickles – they’re one of his favorites – so it’s just as well. I now have 5 bottles of oyster sauce though. I have to quit buying that stuff.

By the time that I put all that away, fixed my hair (I wasn’t wearing any product), and thought wistfully yet again that my shelf paper in the kitchen desperately needs changing, it was time to head for Mauldin to meet Michael.

The little salon he works in is tucked kind of back. Thank goodness for GPS.

We ran by the Mauldin produce stand first. I hadn’t been by there in a long time when they were open, and they were supposed to have some lime/pepper jelly, but they didn’t have it. I got a jar of plain pepper jelly. But that’s not as good. We both got some tomatoes, since they actually smelled like tomatoes. The last ones I got from the flea market were chewy! I’d never had a chewy tomato before. They were about as appetizing as they sound.

From there we went on to Garden Ridge. The one thing I wanted to do today was to get a glass trap frame for my Koko Taylor flier and ticket stub. We got it there. I also found a couple of other things I had been looking for for the house. I’ve gotten to the age now that when something wears out; I want a replacement exactly like the one I’m used to. Sometimes that’s tricky. New throw pillows for the sofa continue to elude me, however.

By the time we got out of there we were hungry. We ran by Target and I got a couple of things. Then we went on to the K&W for dinner. That was fine with me. I had a big plate full of grease and starch, topped off by chocolate pie. It felt kind of like coming full circle after starting the day with pie.

We made a half-hearted run through Old Tyme Pottery, but we were both full and pretty bushed by that point. I spent about $80 today, which I really didn’t need to do. I headed home, put everything away, framed my flier, and put it up in the bathroom. It looks great.

No comments: