Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A post in which I get in the kitchen

I worked my butt off today trying to get all the write-offs done. My boss decided he wanted to clean out my work list this month. I hate doing write-offs. It’s very boring and difficult at the same time. But I got them all done but two. That’s pretty amazing as many as I had to do this month.

I heard from an old friend last week through Manhunt. His name is Javier, and we sniffed around each other a bit at the time, but nothing really came of it. He emailed me today and told me he would come by tonight to see me after work. I didn’t mind, but I had stuff to do tonight.

I talked to Laura today on the way home. She and Kimbley weren't at the Hat Party because they were still recovering from another party they had been to on Saturday. So they are fine, which I was glad to hear.

I ran by the library on the way home, then got in the kitchen and started cooking. I was making Grandma Shumate’s Chicken Delight tonight. I haven’t made it in a while. Of course I don’t make it exactly the way she did, but it still has the same comfort food feel. I put a lot more vegetables in mine. I had leftover celery from making all that egg salad last week, so I did celery, onion, bell pepper, carrots, green soybeans, fake chicken, and broccoli. I was afraid I got too much wine in it (Grandma would be very upset if she knew I put wine in her good Baptist Circle Group recipe), but it turned out good.

Javier came by just as I got it ready to go in the oven, so that was pretty much perfect. We visited and caught up for a while. It was good to see him. He’s all married now, and seems pretty happy with his lover. I was glad for him. He did tell me how much weight I had gained since he saw me last, which made me slightly less happy for him. I exercised some restraint, and didn't point out that he wasn't exactly Jack LaLanne himself.

After he left, I cleaned up the kitchen, finished up the apple pie with some ice cream (I’d had another big salad for dinner, but it was going to go bad right? This is why I don’t keep sweets in the house.), and turned in. I had planned to read some more tonight, but by the time I got everything done it was too late.

No comments: