Friday, April 3, 2009

A post in which I find that Greenville has added another jewel to it's culinary crown

Today at work the quiet trend continued, for which I was grateful.

I was supposed to do a movie night with Anna and her parents tonight, but she had to cancel. That was just as well, since I really needed to pack and stuff tonight anyway. But after work, I felt like doing something. I’m so glad not to be sick any more. I really wanted to go out and do something tonight. I called Laura to see what she and Kimbley were up to.

I ended up going over there for cocktails on the patio while we discussed dinner plans. It was pretty, if a bit cool, but windy. After all the rain we’ve had though, it was just good to be outside. Donnie and Mark came over, and we decided to go to a new place I hadn’t been called Campobello’s. They have Italian food and it was absolutely scrumptious. The atmosphere was quiet – it’s a small place, and hasn’t been “discovered” yet. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. They also let you bring your own wine, which was a big deal for Donnie and Mark, since they’re all in to wine. I think they’re going to make and aficionado of me in spite of myself. I’m not usually into red, but the wine they brought tonight was all delicious. I shudder to think what most of it cost. Their wine budget is far greater than mine. Mark generously picked up the tab for everyone too. I thought that was very nice. It was also good for me, since I'm a bit strapped for funds at the mo, and this place wasn't cheap.

At the restaurant I ran into an old friend from high school. I was very surprised at her effusive greeting, since we hadn’t been that close way back when, but she was super nice and seemed really glad to see me. She’s also a lesbian, which of course was just extra points in my book. She had been to the high school reunion, and I found myself asking about people I hadn’t thought about in years. I really enjoyed seeing her. I’m going to have to have her and her lover over soon. Kimbley and Laura were interested in getting to know them too. Susan was so nice, and K&L are always telling me they’d like to have more women friends, which I can understand.

After dinner, we went back to watch movies on the big screen at K&L’s. Tonight we watched Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. I had seen it once before and frankly it was so unpleasant I don’t think I made it all the way through. But I know it’s supposed to be a masterpiece, and I really like both of them, so I decided to give it another try. Apparently I am not smart enough to get it. I could feel the hidden meanings just missing me as they went over my head, but never caught up with them. I could see that there was a lot going on under the surface, but the majority of it was incomprehensible to me. Ultimately, it just collapsed in a mish-mash for me. I didn’t understand the ending.

The one thing that hadn’t changed from my initial impression was the sheer unpleasantness of the whole thing. Watching Elizabeth Taylor fully immerse herself in the role of a castrating, adulterous, vicious, alcoholic shrew is just not my idea of entertainment. I can understand intellectually that it was an accomplishment for her as an actress, but I can’t understand why anyone would want to watch it. Why would anyone want to watch a dysfunctional couple of vitriolic drunks scream at each other for two hours? I don’t get it. Maybe it just goes back to my simple-minded pursuits of entertainment that actually makes me feel better. Maybe it’s just that I’ve experienced so much bitterness and argument with members of my own family. I don’t think I’ll be sitting through that one again.

It was nice to see everyone though. I said my goodnights and went home to get in bed far too late to do any packing. Meh. I’ll do it tomorrow.

No comments: