Friday, April 10, 2009

A post in which I attend and egg-dying party

I had my meeting with my boss today to go over my major accounts, only to have him tell me he now wants detailed status on every account. Grrr. I got to work. I had planned an easy day for myself today, and it was really hard to stay motivated. It was rainy and gray, and half the office was out for Good Friday. But I kept plugging away and made good progress.

It was also hard to focus because I was really excited about the party tonight. I hadn’t seen James and Jeff in a while, and I wanted to see Amanda again too. I like her even if she is a picky eater. Plus Anna was going with me tonight, and I was looking forward to that. It does me good to see her out and about with people. We talked twice today and she seemed really stoked.

I had brought half the house with me to work today. I had workout clothes, shower stuff, party clothes, the salad, my lunch, my briefcase, and I dished up some of the red jacket potatoes to take up for Amanda. It was quite a production coming in. But everything was set up to run this evening.

I got off work, hit the guy, showered up, changed, and then headed to Anna’s to pick her up. As usual, we talked our heads off all the way to Spartanburg. It seems like we just always have so much to say. She is so smart and funny. She is getting less self-deprecating as well, which is good.

When we got to Justin’s, he and Amanda had obviously been waiting for people to arrive. Amanda was unexpectedly subdued the whole evening. I wondered if Anna being there had anything to do with that? I also found out when we got there that Amanda doesn’t eat potatoes (who the f*(&^ck doesn’t eat potatoes??), so that effort was for naught. Justin had all the food laid out. We sat around and talked for a while, then started eating when James got there. The asparagus was perfectly cooked, and my salad turned out really good. Everything was good. There was ham and cold turkey, pasta salad, rolls, and two kinds of fruit salad. Anna had made a delicious mai tai fruit salad. All of course served on vintage 60’s dishes. Anna fit right in with the group, seemed comfortable almost immediately, and settled in to enjoy herself. She and James pretty much fell in love with each other.

James is investigating the possibility of using the egg dye package as a feedbag here, I think

Jeff trickled in..

While we were eating and talking, Jeff trickled in. We talked for a while longer, and then decided to start dying eggs. I hadn’t done that in years and years, but it was a lot of fun, even if my eggs didn’t turn out that great. Amanda was unexpectedly meticulous and spent a lot of time on hers. They turned out really pretty. James’s seemed to turn out pretty by luck rather than good management, and Anna’s were nice too, and very interesting. There were prizes for everyone though. Amanda won the top prize, which she really deserved. I got the prize for “best attempt”, which is pretty much like the "participation" trophies they give you at special camp, but I got a chocolate cross, so I wasn’t complaining.

Justin getting ready to dye eggs

I have no idea what the hell Anna was saying here - note Amanda remaining demurely in the background, no doubt quietly plotting key egg strategy

There was a big discussion about what to do with the eggs when we got done. Justin was trying to get people to take them home, and they didn't seem to want to. James didn't know what to do with his. I just stepped in. I am not proud. I love egg salad, boiled egg sandwiches, etc. I ended up taking several dozen eggs home, but I don't think I'll have a problem using them. I don't usually eat that many because of the cholesterol, but I couldn't stand to see them go to waste, which makes an eggcellent rationale to indulge in huge amounts of egg salad.

Egg judging begins

Serious egg evaluation going on

Jeff and James at home

After the eggs were done and the prizes awarded, we went down to Jeff and James’s apartment to visit. We got to see their dogs, and the painting they had done in the apartment. We listened to music and talked some more and ended up watching funny youtube videos on television until late. I got home at 4:30! It was a great evening though, and I really had a good time.

1 comment:

JLo said...

You did have the best attempt! I think you won that award fair and square...