Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A visit from James

Tonight was the only evening I'm going to have at home this week. I had a whole list of stuff to do. But when James called and wanted to hang out tonight, I wanted to see him too. I ran a few errands on the way home, finding out in the process that Barnes & Noble will not exchange that duplicate cook book since Eve didn't save the gift receipt. I'm all mad at that, to quote Justin. I think I'll ask him if there's anything he can do.

The visit with James went well. I am really comfortable with him around, and he seemed content to hang and talk, and let me do what I needed to do.

Since I got the new table to replace one of my existing ones, I gave the spare to James - he's furnishing his new apartment. When I put the one I bought last weekend into place, it looked smashing. Sherman was totally right - it belongs in the bedroom. It was just one of those times when you put a piece of furniture into place, and it looks as if it was made to go there. It doesn't feel new at all, it looks so right.

I got a pizza in the oven and a load of laundry in, and then we settled in to visit. We split a bottle of wine, and smoked and talked. I was really comfortable with him there, and glad for the company. He's living alone for the first time, and adjusting - something I can relate to very well. I can still remember my first solo apartment. Being alone again has freshened those memories I suppose. It's hard to think that I've been on my own for almost two years now (!!).

We split a bottle of wine and I put in The Women, which he had never seen. He was entertained enough, I suppose, but he only finished watching out of politeness I think. So many young people just don't appreciate the great old movies. Justin is very unusual in that respect.

After the movie was over, I sent him home and got ready for bed! I had a quick phone call with Scott and then turned in. I just can't seem to get caught up on my rest this week.

No comments: