Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Blissfully quiet at home

It was deliciously cool when I got off work tonight.

I had to go fill up with gas for the weekend, but BJ's pumps were shut down - again. This is really pissing me off. One of the reasons I got a membership was to get the discount gas, and this is twice I have been over there that all the pumps were shut off. So I went next door and burned up another 45 fucking dollars for gas.

I went by the library on the way home to get a book on CD for this weekend's trip to Cola. They have laid in a big supply of Rita Mae Brown's mysteries on CD, so I got another of those. The last one I got was actually pretty vile - spending the first disc in discussion of grape vine diseases, pests, and bio-terrorism. When it finally got started it was OK. I'm thinking this one should be better since it is from earlier in the series. I often think about how she has come down in the writing world since writing Rubyfruit Jungle. I know that most people don't think of Agatha Chrstie as an inferior author (although a good many scholars do), but what would it be like to go from writing your magnum opus - a piece of art, and a beloved touchstone from young lesbians - at a very young age (29) to grinding out whodunits to pay the bills? I wonder about those things.

I got home and put a pizza in the oven for dinner. I finished the last of the Twilight series books. It was OK. The storybook ending was pretty pat, but I want to talk to Justin about why he was so disappointed about the whole book. *spoilers* I mean, I could see that the ending she had written towards would kill Edward and Bella, with Renesmee going off with Jacob to start a new life. It read like she abruptly changed her mind about the ending, or her publisher/editor pushed her into writing a happy ending. There were several deus ex machina introduced, most notably the sudden manifestation of Bella's shielding abilities preventing any real showdown. The story, as it stands, is not finished. A real happy ending wouldn't leave the characters in unresolved danger. The Volturi will have to be rekoned with before any true resolution is effected. So is there another book? There was certainly the setup for one, despite the difinitive ending, that they would be together. Forever. THE END

I suppose I would be more offended if I had been more serious about the books. As it is, it was just a pretty mediocre end to a pretty mediocre series. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't that great. It was entertaining. Some of the characters I really liked. I liked Jacob and Alice the best. The rest of them were kind of generic and rather one-dimensional, except for Rosalie, who I didn't particularly like.

I played around with starting another book Jusin loaned me called House of Leaves; but since Justin said it was the scariest book he has ever read, and since I haven't been sleeping that well lately anyway, I let it lie for now.

It was just nice to lie around with the screen door letting in all the beautiful Fall weather. There will be another head wave before it's done, but tonight was lovely.

No comments: