Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Unexpected popularity!

After work today, I had a dinner invite from Justin and James. I thought that was awfully sweet of them, but I had to turn them down. Tonight I had made plans to have dinner with my parents. They agreed to go eat Japanese food with me, which was a huge concession on their part. Usually we just go get Mexican, because I know they'll eat that. But (and I never thought I'd say this) thank goodness for Benny Hanna-style teppanyaki restaurants. They opened the door to my step-mom being open to trying real Japanese food. We went to Irashiai, one of my favorite sushi places in town. They have a full Japanese menu, and sushi as well. I know enough about it to order things that they enjoyed. Dad even tried a piece of sushi, although I don't think he was very impressed with it.

After a huge meal and pleasant conversation, we went back over to their house for talk and presents. I was really hoping for money, but they got me a vegetarian cookbook. I already had it, but it was a nice thought just the same. They also brought me some bear salt and pepper shakers from Dollywood. They took my nephew Cole up there last month. It was a nice thought, since I had admired theirs, but theirs are Big Sky Carvers shakers, and these aren't - they aren't nearly as cute, unfortunately. But it's the thought that counts.

While I was on the way back to their place, Russ called and we got set up for my third birthday dinner at Monterrey's for Mexican on Thursday. I really wanted to go to this great Indian place called Saffron, but Miss Kat and dana wouldn't really find anything they wanted to eat there. This was just easier for everyone. I always love nachos, and I'll have a margarita, and everyone will be happy.

Anyway, I stayed over at Dad's and talked until way too late. We pretty much ran out of safe subjects by the time I went home. My phone had been ringing too. I had a voice mail from Sherman, trying to reach me in person to tell me Happy Birthday - he had emailed me earlier in the day. Lisa, Cole, Carl, and I guess even Ava called to sing Happy Birthday to me in my voice mail.

I've had more attention this year for my birthday than I've had in years!

With all this going on, I haven't really had a chance to get down like I usually do around my birthday. That is a very good thing. I feel attractive, thanks to certain parties who shall remain nameless; and wanted, since all my friends are inviting me out. It's not like my self-esteem relies on being desired or anything, but it sure doesn't hurt. And whether or not it actually works out with any of these guys it's really encouraging to see that there are possibilities out there. Staring into the void was getting a bit old.

Meanwhile, I'm exhausted. I went home and fell into the bed.

No comments: