Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Jubilee Continues

Apparently I have now reached the age whereby one no longer has birthdays, but week-long jubilee celebrations like Queen Elizabeth II. Not that I'm complaining. On the one hand, that means I'm old. On the other hand, it means I have also grown into my royalty. Apparently my princess days are over, but I get to be Queen now.

These were the thoughts I was having today as I got ready for my third birthday dinner.

Unfortunately, I got a call from Miss Kat as I was getting home. She and dana are unable to make it. I hated that, because I would have liked to see them, but I understand things come up, and I'm sure there was a good reason. Trying to look on the bright side, I decided this meant that we could go to Saffron for dinner, which we did.

I was hungry, and really wanting some Indian (it has been way too long since we ate there, I decided). I ended up being there like 15 minutes early. Since Russ is never on time to anywhere, I settled in to wait. I wandered around some shops, got a lighter, etc.

Billy showed up in a bit, and had Ben with him, which was a pleasant surprise. I hadn't expected to see him. He even brought me a card, which I thought was really sweet of him until I read the card. That little ho. Apparently I am too old for cards about how old I am to be funny, but not yet old enough for them to be funny again. Billy and Russ gave me a card and some Choxie bars, which I love.

We had an excellent meal. But then the food at Saffron is always fantastic. I had a dish of homemade cheese cooked in a spicy tomato cream gravy - sheer heaven. And so incredibly bad for me, but you only live once. We had a lovely time talking and joking over dinner, and we caught up on all the latest in each other's lives. It was really nice. The only thing that would have been nicer would have been if Miss Kat and dana and Justin could have been there. But Miss Kat and dana would not have been happy at all with the food, and Justin's presence would have been complicated.

After dinner, I made sure to have some gulab jamun, delicious spongy milk cake balls, fried and served drenched in sweet rosewater syrup. I have eaten these many places - I adore Indian food - but this place makes the best I have ever tasted. They are sheer heaven. They are so sweet they only bring you two of them. That's all you can eat!

After dinner, I decided to go over to the house to visit for a bit. I knew I'd never get to bed on time then. When I get over there I never want to leave. And that's the way it was tonight. I sat out on the screen porch in the deliciously cool evening, petting the dogs, smoking, and talking to Russ and Billy. Not all the topics were pleasant, but it was stuff we needed to hash out anyway. For the most part, it was a lovely visit. I always enjoy being at their house.

Once again, I'll pay for it tomorrow, but it was SO worth it. What a great birthday I've had.

2 comments:

Helena said...

So which age is that? I'd like to know because I never celebrate my birthday. I just have a ball every day! :-)

Congrats!

thefabulousmrthing said...

Sorry, but a lady never tells her age - particularly on line!

But thanks for the congrats :)