Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A house full of friends

Well, I have to say I started today off lower than a worm's toenails. Dumped again, fat, and soon to be another year older (officially).

Things started looking up though. My friend Michael, whom I have known practially forever, texted me to today and invited me out to dinner with him and his new husband Joe. We used to be really close, but for various reasons haven't seen much of each other for the last several years. It was so great to see him again; seeing a good old friend feels like going home. We went to the K&W, just like old times when we used to go to the cafeteria; and ate and talked and talked and talked. When we were through with the meal, we still weren't through talking, so I asked them back to the house.

It has been an issue for me that the house always had to be "perfect" before I could have people in, and I regularly drove my ex Michael up the wall trying to achieve that perfection. It's something I'm trying to lay down. The house was sure far from perfect last night. But the world didn't end. The visit was more important than my lack of house-keeping gumption. The dust did embarrass the nit-picky Virgo me. It definately brought home to me how much I have let stuff slide lately. But it didn't impede the conversation.

On the way back to the house from the restaurant, Justin called. He and James wanted to drop in too. I was tickled to ask them all over. I lit the lamps and the candles, and just enjoyed having the house full of friends and light, love and laughter. Because in the big picture, that's really what it's all about. It was wonderful. It has been far too long.

I'll pay for staying up so late tomorrow. But it was so worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

House looked wonderful, seeing you was wonderful, the hubby loved you : said you were witty, funny and cute even , blah blah blah "Its just Steve" says I,"He's always been fantastic". Great fun and liked the sweetie friends.GOD WERE WE EVER THAT YOUNG?? Loved the kitties !!! Must do it again sometime SOON... AND i MEAN THAT I love you, ya know been way way way to long The fab-u-lous Michael lol