Saturday, September 6, 2008

God is just covering me up with life lessons

I woke up this morning with a sense of anticipation. Sherman, a guy I met on match.com, is coming to visit today. Rather than a frenzied dash to straighten up the house, I opted for coffee on the porch. It's one of those deliciously cool mornings where the light hasn't changed for Fall yet, and the birds are out. The lantana in the front waste-land next to the street has taken advantage of the Gustav rain to burst into exuberant bloom like hope in the midst of the weeds. The daylillies have come back out and filled their dusty bed with green, at least. I started thinking about Michael's tree. He just insisted on planting a River Birch, which I didn't think would live, in the hole in the yard where an old oak used to be. When we hauled it home, it was a skinny thing, just 10' tall. I thought it would be beaten to death in the truck on the way home. But it's twice the size it was, and thriving. Meanwhile the Eastern Redbuds that I so painstakingly researched to be native and drought-resistant have a disease. I'm thinking that maybe things turn out better sometimes if they aren't so carefully thought out. Maybe I just need to go with the flow more.

Like having people in to my messy house Wednesday night.

Like acting as tour guide for the weekend to a guy I barely know.

I got an email this morning from a guy I talked to before, but I can't remember when. I recognize his picture though. It seems like he had a child, and was newly out when we were talking. Frankly, I don't usually have the patience to do the 'gay 101' thing. But maybe I should just call him and see what happens.

And fuck it. If the rest of the day does got to shit, I have lunch with Justin to look forward to, and I get to do some antiquing, which I haven't done in a while. And James is coming tomorrow to watch a movie. Even in the midst of planning to move, he called me yesterday to see if I still needed stuff moved for my house. Such a sweet guy.

And for some reason right now, I just feel like things are going to work out.

I'm having a serious debate with myself right now about whether or not I want to go to the LOCK campout this Fall. On the one hand, they are friends, and it's always an adventure to spend the weekend with Russ and Billy. On the other hand, it's an expense I don't really need right now, and it's a lot of work to do all the desserts - especially this fall when the weekend falls just after I get back from the beach with Mom. I'm thinking I may give myself a break. Especially since I'm going to have to do the full Christmas thing this year probably. I'll talk to Billy about it. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my birthday weekend, and see what falls in to place.

No comments: