Monday, September 15, 2008

A mostly quiet night of video voyeurism

After a quick dinner and starting on a bit of laundry, I was surprisingly still awake. I decided to flip on the boob tube for a bit.

I watch "Intervention" sometimes, I have to admit, because they have hot troubled young guys on there. I don't know why this draws me the way it does, but it does. Of course there aren't always guys on there. Two of the ones I watched tonight were about girls. But anyway.

So I'm sitting there watching this show, and I am really wanting a cigarette. Or a drink. Or an injection of heroin. Or something like that. How sick is that? Why would I feel that way? Are there others that feel the same way when they watch this show? I'm really curious. I'm fairly certain this is the exact opposite of the show's intentions (provided that it isn't secretly financed by a drug cartel), but I wonder if it has this affect on other people. Maybe if they didn't have the people on the show be so attractive? Have you noticed that the addict they choose is usually very photogenic? And usually the most attractive member of the family? (Although one girl had a really hot cousin tonight - Yowza.) It seems like the hidden message here is the same as the Boy George recovery - addicts are cool and hot, healthy people seem to skew ugly, fat, and boring. If I'm shallow enough to respond in this way, I'm thinking there have to be others more shallow than I who see it as the true meaning of the show. I didn't have a cigarette or a drink, but I sure wanted one.

Russ called. Apparently the guys giving the bear dinner this month are freaking out because no one has RSVP'd. OK, I love Marty and Russell, but I'm kind of wondering where their minds are. First, they are giving a cookout on a week night. Hello. Everyone has to work the next day. Second, they live in Piedmont. Gas is over $4 a gallon right now. And third, they are wanting this to be a charity event. That is very admirable, and I'd love to see SCBears raise some money for a good cause. Generally, though, most people want to have a bit more than a hamburger and an 2-hour gathering to part with some bucks - particularly after traipsing to the outland for said hamburger. I'm just saying. Russ and Billy are going, of course, to support the group. I'm going with them. But I'm not expecting a huge turnout.

I emailed Justin today and updated him on the Megan Meier case, since it came up last night and I didn't know what was going on. I followed it diligently for a while, but then there were no updates for so long, and I realized that it was very improbable that there would be actual live footage of God smiting Lori Drew personally, so I just kind of dropped off. She has apparently been charged with three counts of illegal access to a protected account, and one count of conspiracy. The laws she was charged under are generally used to prosecute internet fraud, and the charges are unlikely to stick in the unlikely event of conviction. What a pisser. Still, I guess living as a public pariah, losing her business, her husband losing his job, etc is a pretty tough punishment, although it doesn't seem to have had much of an effect on OJ Simpson. He's having to struggle along on only $300k per year. My heart just bleeds for him. Still, I doubt the Drews had a huge NFL pension to draw on. But I digress.

I also asked Justin about going back to get that Mayfair platter I forgot about yesterday, and he's going to go tomorrow :) I'm happy about that.

No comments: