Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Lovely Sunday

My depression glass, back on display thanks to Sweet Justin


Well I wrung pretty much every possible bit of fun out of today.

Started with a great flea market run (see other entry), and pizza for breakfast. Justin called about coming over, and so I tidied up a bit, and had time for coffee on the front porch before he got there. I cleaned out the ugly china cabinet in the study, because I knew he wanted to put my depression glass in it. I had told him we'd get it down out of the attic and look at it all, since he is developing and interest in it. Did a Quorn Turk'y Roast to eat sarnies on this week.

We played in the glass all afternoon, and I got down my iced tea tumblers for my main pattern (not pictured), which I had never unwrapped. They are extremely rare, and pretty expensive, but I figured there was no point in having them if I didn't use them at some point. So they are all washed, de-labeled, and in the cabinet now.

We made an emergency run to the antique stores for plate stands so Justin could do the arrangement of glass the way he wanted in the china cabinet. We ran into the antique store, moments before they closed, in desperate need of plate stands. It was an exceedingly homo moment. I suppose the store owner was used to such, as he handled it without raising an eyebrow; but then I am sure we were not the first homosexuals he had ever seen .

Then we met Russ at his place, went to dinner, and watched the new Hairspray movie. I have to say, I intended to see it, because I knew John Waters was still involved in the production, but after I saw the stills for John Travolta in the role of Edna Turnblad, my enthusiasm was dimmed considerably, and it was never that white-hot to start with. Personally, I felt that it was a re-make that was not needed.

I have to say, I did enjoy it much more than I thought I would. It was a good time.

- Nikkie Blonsky was absolutely charming as Tracy. I loved her from from the first frame she appeared in. I think I liked her better than Riki Lake, honestly.

- I really enjoyed Christopher Walken as Wilbur, and really didn't expect to. He brought a believable heartwarming affection and charm to the role that really surprised me.

- I thought I would miss Debbie Harry. She was quintessential in the first one. I was absolutely wrong. Michelle Pfeiffer played the villain with an evil relish and a diva turn that was completely satisfying.

- Zac Efron was not anywhere near as hot as the original Link, but he was adequate. He was more than compensated for, however, by James Marsden, who was just SMOKIN hot in 50's drag as Corny Collins.

- I was afraid that they would "Hollywood-ize" the chubby-chaser subtext out of the new movie. Part of what I liked about the old version was that Mr. Pinky really did like those larger women. There was always the undercurrent that this was the reason he went into big women's fashion. The women sensed he wasn't just using them, he really thought they were beautiful. I have to say, that aspect of the movie, far from being downplayed, was actually celebrated in the charming duet between Walken and Travolta. A most pleasant surprise. It was also firmly in the background of Pfeiffer's attempted seduction of Walken. Well played. I also loved Queen Latifa's empowered song about being big and beautiful. She is a lovely woman, and I applaud any media that counters the ridiculous body image women in America regularly have forced down their throats. Although, I will say that the use of food for motivation for Edna and Motormouth Mabel did take on a "fat chick" joke quality after it was repeated several times.

- I loved all the cameos from people in the original movie. That was really cool.

There were, however, drawbacks. Most notably John Revolta as Edna Turnblad. He was every bit as horrible in the role as I feared. He pulled off a couple of scenes, as when he became the "agent" at the Hefty Hideaway interview, and I have to say the duet he did with Christopher Walken was lovely, but I think that was due more to good direction and editing than the actual performance. And his turn in the finale was frankly appalling. The best I can say about his performance was the it did progress from wincingly bad to the ability to at least avoid negative focus by the end of the film. What the HELL were they thinking?? Were they thinking at ALL?? I can't believe John Waters allowed that travesty to occur.

- As much as I love her, you just can't replace Ruth Brown with Queen Latifa. She was good, and her march song brought dignity and honor to her role (necessary after her earlier degradation on the Corny Collins Show bits, which I was honestly surprised to see her do), but I still liked Ruth better.

- The screenplay had been purged of almost all of the Waters-esque dialog. The only one who got any good Waters-style lines was Mrs. Pingleton. She was funny, but once again, I thought the original Mrs. Pingleton was better. That could have been that she had more part to work with. The role in this movie was considerably smaller.

- I didn't like that Little Inez won Miss Hairspray. I thought that was kind of stupid and hackneyed. But I will admit, no more hackeneyed than Tracy predictably winning in the original. But this was obviously a plot twist just for the sake of having a plot twist.

Bottom line. I liked the music from this one better, but the acting in the first one was better, and the dialog was the classic John Waters dialog. If you rob the story of that, you kind of remove it from the unreal John Waters world, which to me detracts from the story. So I'll have the soundtrack for the new one, but keep watching the old one. If I bought the new one, it would be only for the great musical numbers, and the absolutely charming performance of Ms. Blonsky. OK, I may have to have both.

***

But I didn't get in bed until after 12 again. That makes Mondays tough.

No comments: