Saturday, January 26, 2008

My Night Out

Me acting like a complete doofus at Russ and Billy's. Bear411 refused to post this picture as my main profile pic!


OK, so boredom finally sapped me of all common sense, and when Russ called me to meet them for dinner, I said yes. I really did want to see Skot before he left, and wanted to have some fun too. We went to a new place called "Azia", which advertises "fusion global cuisine".

http://www.aziagreenville.com/home.asp

OK. Well Russ wanted to go, and he knows the guy that owns the place. Very fab, very fashionable, very upscale; and I didn't realize that (I should have) and showed up under dressed like a redneck schmo. The other place he runs is a bit more laid back - the aforementioned Lieu's. That aside. The decor here was very mod and posh, and matched the new puzzling trend for inexplicably expensive restaurants. A dyed concrete floor, and a cavernous ceiling of exposed metal and duct work, with trendy lights floating in the visual space. Very arty and all, but the NOISE was awful. There were no cloth baffles or anything to deaden the echoes of two floors of diners resounding in this vast, hard cavern. Call me old-fashioned, but I like a quieter atmosphere where you can at least carry on a conversation with the people you are with. My impression was of a place to be seen, rather than a place to enjoy the company of your companions.

We had reservations for 8pm. We waited 45 minutes for our table (fortunately I had eaten a banana earlier so my blood sugar wouldn't go haywire). When we were seated, our service was pretty good. The waiter was nice enough, but knitted an audible barrier of "guy"s "buddy"s and "bro"s so that we would all be in no doubt about his heterosexuality. That's fine. If he was uncomfortable, that's his issue. I just wanted my food; and as I said, he was nice enough. As to the food. Well I have to say the appetizer that I had, the "Krunchy Tempura Shrimp Thai Tacos" was one of the most delicious things I have ever put in my mouth. So I was really jazzed about the rest of the meal.

Sadly, the rest wasn't nearly as good. I had three maki rolls. They were good, but they were hella expensive. About twice the price of our usual nice sushi place. I did have all specialty rolls, though. But even a spider roll most places is only about $10. They did have a couple of basic rolls for $6-8, but the vast majority of the rolls were $10 or higher. The Dragon Roll I had was very good, the unagi nice and crisp, but at $14, it was a bit pricey. The Volcano Roll was also $14, and to be frank, I've had better. The Unbelievable Roll was topped with lobster, and I guess they didn't want to use a strong palate to preserve that flavor, but it was pretty bland, and at $15, no bargain (it was maki, we're talking maybe an ounce of lobster). Add $10 for the appetizer, and a tip, and I had a $75 meal - that is with no cocktails at all, just a soda. So good, yes, but really, I would have been happier at our regular sushi place, in a quieter dining atmosphere, for about 30% less on the check.

Plus, I looked like hell. I had coughed until my eyes were blood shot, my nose was all chapped from blowing it, and when I went to the bathroom, I ruptured a capillary in the end of my nose and couldn't stop bleeding.

It was a relief to get back to Russ and Billy's. We had a nice game night, playing "Apples to Apples", which Justin and Ben both love, and a Monopoly card game that we like too. I was smoking with Russ between games, although I could scarcely believe I was torturing my poor recovering lungs and throat in so cavalier a fashion. By the time the Monopoly game was over (and because we had spent so long at the restaurant) it was really late. I got home at about 3:20. I can't decide if I am devil-may-care, or a complete idiot.

Plus, we're going to the Jockey Lot in the morning, if they get up to go. I'm not expecting it. They were playing Wii when I called it quits.

No comments: