Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Quorn Turk'y Roast!


I found a new author last month, Jasper Fforde. I started one of the Thursday Next novels today, The Eyre Affair. The books are supposed to be a cross between V.I. Warshawski and the Douglas Adams books, which appealed to me, although I was a bit concerned that the grounding in English Lit might be a bit too learned for me. As it is, I had no trouble getting into the book at all. Thursday Next is a delightfully competent and smart woman with a troubled past. I like strong female protagonists, and of course at this stage in my life a troubled past romantic life is something with which I can really identify. I also love her dotty uncle the inventor, who reminds me a bit of an absent-minded Q (from James Bond). I always love finding a new author. I'm still going to read the rest of Charlaine Harris, but I bought her next one, so I have to read the library books first. She also is doing that "hopping" thing that Mary JaniceDavidson does where they put short stories that continue the narrative of their novels in collections of short stories, so you have to find and read those before you can read the next novel in the series. Since I hate reading that stuff out of order, it's a bit of a pain in the ass.

Stopped off at Whole Foods last night on my way home, and they had Quorn Turk'y Roasts back in! Hooray! I promptly bought two. I'll have turk'y and swiss sarnies for lunch next week. Mmmm. Also bought a bit of goat's milk Gouda, the best cheese EVER! So much for the un-cheez. Ironically, I don't like regular gouda, it's too smooth and soft, and just turns to a gelatinous yuck for mouth feel to me. But I could eat a truckload of goat's milk Gouda. With a texture similar to cheddar, but a distinctly mellow yet gamey flavor, it is the best ever. Michael's step-dad Bill introduced us to it, and after I gobbled down most of the pound, I asked them what it was. It was just "Bill Cheese" for a long time after that. It's expensive, but hey, I have to have a treat every now and then (said Gigantor). It's been a month since I bought my Mimolette, which I also love. And at $14.99/lb. (to Mimolette's $19.95/lb.) this was a relative bargain. Of course I just bought about 4 oz.

After that, I virtuously went home and ate leftovers. Had a bit of avocado for the good fat and b-complex vitamins, and some brown rice cakes with flax seed in them, so had a huge Omega-3 rush last night. Trying to detox from all the holiday crap I ate. Of course I had Snow Cream for dessert, since I still have about a gallon of ice cream in my fridge, in total. Sigh.

Still preoccupied with "Bunny Bump" thoughts. Played 87 games of Tetris last night.

No comments: