Saturday, January 5, 2008

Sweet Justin Visits

Went to the flea market this morning - Yay! Finally!! And found not one damn thing I wanted. Got some produce, that was about it.

Was really lazy today, since I had been up late the last two nights. When Justin called later today and said he wanted to come see a movie, I was really glad. I had been thinking about going out to the Full Moon Saloon, which I have heard has good points (no huge boom boom music, low attitude) and bad (not many people there, ever - and is a bar, ew). I was glad not to have to resort to that, but had just seen all my friends, and figured they would be involved with un-decking halls, etc.

Justin ended up being late, which was fine ( I wasn't really all that hepped up on seeing the movie that was coming on TCM anyway), and said that he wanted me to watch "Suddenly, Last Summer" with him instead. He has it on DVD. That was fine, but the movie is kind of a downer, from what I understand. Yet another of the "tortured fag" movies from the 50's and early 60's, basically telling you that if you are gay, not only will you be miserable, but so will everyone who cares for you. Not exactly my cup o tea, but he was all excited about it, so I was like what the hey.

It turns out we didn't watch a movie at all. When Justin got to the house, he had brought another chocolate pound cake (don't get me started), and as we went into the kitchen, he saw a vegan cookbook laying out, since I had been flipping through it earlier that day. He was intrigued. I had bought it about two years before, because after I had gall bladder surgery, I became pretty lactose intolerant for a while (still to an extent, but not as bad as it was) and was looking into non-dairy cheese alternatives. I bought some of the stuff to make the recipes, but never had. So we ended up making nut milk (a vegan milk substitute based on you guessed it, nuts) . I made the cashew milk. It was OK, and would have been better if I had had fresher ingredients, but not something I could see keeping in the fridge with the vast availability of excellent soy milk out now. 8th Continent light chocolate soy milk tastes like YooHoo, I just LOVE it. We also made Swizz Cheez, a supposed swiss cheese substitute.

During the process of this, we destroyed the kitchen. By the time we made stuff, and cleaned up the kitchen, we were both tired. Of course, Justin had been frying chicken earlier in the day, and that just wears him out apparently. So we went to bed. Or I went to bed. Apparently, now that he has a boyfriend he can't sleep in my bed any more, so he wrapped up in a little papoose on the sofa.

No comments: