Friday, January 4, 2008

I have such great friends


Got off work tonight, really with no plans. But Kimblee called and invited me to go see "Sweeney Todd" with her, Laura, Donnie (aka D'relda D'remus) and Mark.

The movie was really good. Tim Burton was the perfect director for this story, and Johnny Depp was perfectly cast as Sweeney, I have to say. It was very enjoyable, they did a pretty good job with the black humor, which can be hard to get across. Also, the songs weren't monkeyed with too badly, which I was worried about. They didn't do quite as good a job with my favorite one, "A Little Priest", as I had hoped; but they made up for it with the version of "By the Sea", which was funny and gorgeously and ironically rose-tinted (although they cut my favorite lyric). Helena Bonham Carter does a pretty good job with Mrs. Lovett, although I have to say I thought Angela Lansbury was better in the broadway version. But I did kind of go in with that prejudice. She was stunning in the role, and did win a Tony for it. I enjoyed Carter's performance, but she just seemed to lack that evil glee that Lansbury had. Everything she did seemed to be motivated either by gutter-poor practicality, or her doomed affection for Sweeney. The element of relish was just missing. IMHO anyway.

After that we went out to dinner at this Italian place. Not the best meal. My portion was lilliputian - and $15 for that. About .10 worth of pasta. Donnie's pizza was raw and doughy. I almost never do this, but I did complain, and they comped our meals. I hadn't been in that place in years, because they took my favorite thing there off the menu, but the food certainly used to be better than what we got last night. I wondered if it was because we were in late and they were trying to close the kitchen.

But still, always lovely to see Kimblee and Laura. And I love me some D'relda. And I have to say, the bartender there pours a mean Cosmo.

No comments: