Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I Feel Like Crap


But I did get some work done.

Came home, and once again intended to get in bed early, but didn't. But at least I was in bed on time, and wrapped up well.

Justin called, having read my blog, and wanting the rest of the dirt on the bear dinner conflict. We talked for a while about his strange materialism for useless yet vaguely cool things. He is a sweet guy, but I told him he was going to have to get a Life Alert so they could call me to come dig him out of the avalanche of crap in a few years. Quirky taste is great, but you have to have filters - filters baby! Otherwise your house ends up looking like a Jackson Pollock painting; and as expensive as they are, who wants to live in one? He likes neatness too much to enjoy living that way.

Michael called and we talked for about an hour about politics and political candidates. I have finally decided to vote for Obama. Do I have concerns about him? Yes. I don't like all those "present" votes in Illinois, which I knew about before Hillary brought them up. But from what I read, that is not unusual in the IL system. I am concerned by his ties to unsavory characters in Chicago, but I am concerned about Hillary's ties in Washington, and to the Wal-Mart board (which is also in her past). I worry that he is not as genuine as he presents himself, but then that is any politician. The key issue that decided me was lobbyists. I just don't think we will have any responsible government or meaningful change until there is serious reform about lobbying. That is something Barak is promising. He has also promised to bar lobbyists from his administration. Apparently Clinton is taking money from lobbyists for her campaign. Is either of them my perfect candidate? No. But bottom line, I'm not voting for more DC politics as usual. If the economy tanks the way I think it will, we're going to have a one-term incumbent anyway, since everyone will blame the new president for the economy that irresponsible spending has spent years undermining. So, in the words of Bill Clinton, I'm willing to roll the dice.

No comments: